headlining templates?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemur

Reaction score
Hi all, has anyone currently got their headlining panels removed (cab area,skinny pop top sides and rear section)? I'm wanting to make my own but could use a template really.. like draw around yours on paper or whatever... I'll happily pay for materials and postage.

Dont wanna pay rackhams prices since i'll be covering it anyway,hence the wood will not need to be og birch.

anybody help?
Cheers
Liam

edit. bus is a 68 left hooker.

I've just purchased one from rackhams
I had fitted it but it's removed at moment
It will be out of the bus for about 2 weeks , your more than welcome to copy it.
If I had some large roll of paper I'd do it for u!

I keep thinking , I must find something to make templates of it

I have just templated a westy headliner, front and back, and looking at that photo, thats not Westy, or at least not with a factory sunroof hole. I can do you a template of the front and back bits from mine if you want, they're big tho, unless i fold them up to put them in a smaller tube.

shiplee123 said:
I've just purchased one from rackhams
I had fitted it but it's removed at moment
It will be out of the bus for about 2 weeks , your more than welcome to copy it.
If I had some large roll of paper I'd do it for u!

I keep thinking , I must find something to make templates of it
This could be awesome depending on your location?

neilswheels said:
I have just templated a westy headliner, front and back, and looking at that photo, thats not Westy, or at least not with a factory sunroof hole. I can do you a template of the front and back bits from mine if you want, they're big tho, unless i fold them up to put them in a smaller tube.
This will be option 2 if thats ok neilswheels .. assuming shiplee123 is too far away like'

Thanks guys feels like i could get this sorted now..
Liam :D

edit. would have to agree the above pic aint no westy headliner

subheatadey said:
Me too, but it was just a rough guide to the overall dimensions and help you get started in manufacturing your own

see what you mean,and thanks for that.. it's a good example of measurments if nothing else cheers,just hoping shiplee123 is just around the corner now :lol:
L

I may have some joining strip material available, white or cream, and some plastic J strips for the sides.A mate of mine has had to buy loads to do his bus,(minimum order) so there's a bunch left over. If anyone's interested, i'll get prices etc.

Hi There,
shiplee123 said:
Hi ya mate
I'm in Suffolk east anglia
well thats a fair old way from here (notts) :( but thanks for the offer dude.... petrol there would exceed price of headliner haha

looks like i'm on to plan B then,
neilswheels said:
If your offer to sort this for me and post in a tube still stands that would be grand :) if you need to buy any materials etc its on me and obviously i'll pay postage. Sound ok?

Cheers Guys
Liam

theres a website Ive found whilst researching how to fit the ply in the rear of my dormobile.
I bought 4mm birch ply from avon plywood supplies (bristol based) they laser cut the stuff to be exact fit...but boy what a job to get it in the original j section as I have found out the following.
1. 4mm is too hard to bend even if you score the reverse side with 1mm tracks to assist bending.
2. 3mm is much easier to bend but there is still the acute bends about 110mm before slotting in the j section.

http://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/fitting-my-birch-ply-headlining.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The guys web site above talks about using B&Q J section and pop riveting the galvanized j section into place.
Looks good in his photos.
took ages to load his site on my pc tho...

Latest posts