heater

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

downsouth

Reaction score
hello. My bus seems to be taking ages as well. It just looks tired, and its going to cost me a fortune to finish off. My girlfriend said they were money vampires, but i didn't realise quite how bad. Anyway, my question is, I seem to be missing the little lever on the heater duct that comes up the centre of the drivers cab. Does it do anything, as I dont seem to get any heat out of the ducts anyway, just cold air. What happens in winter when the windscreen is frozen? Am I bolloxed?

see now I dont think I am. When I open the front flaps we get air coming in, but when closed nothing. I just wondered how the heat is supposed to get from the engine to the fornt windscreen? I reas that they are not all that good anyway, but not knowing whats right or wrong, I am not sure.

Hiya down,

downsouth said:
......... I just wondered how the heat is supposed to get from the engine to the fornt windscreen?.......

If you take a look under your Bus you'll see a large tube running down the center of the chassis. At the rear of the tube you'll see a "Y" shaped fitting that connects the tube with the heat exchangers on either side of the engine. At the front of the tube you'll see a fitting that runs upward and into the passenger cabin. That fitting is connected to the air dispersal unit (sometimes called the totem pole for obvious reasons) which can direct heated air into the passenger cabin or upwards toward the windshield.

Hot air inside the heat exchangers is pushed forward through this system by the force of air generated by the cooling fan inside the engine fanshroud. That means that all heater hoses in your engine compartment must be in good unobstructed shape and connected properly. You'll also want to check that the heater control cables (from your heat levers on the dash) are connected properly to your heat exchangers.

Heated air moves through the "Y" connector and into the central tube. From there it moves upwards and into the totem pole. The totem pole has a a lever which can route the air into the passenger cabin or onto the windshield. Additionally, there should be a pull knob under one of the front seats which can route heated air backwards in the passenger compartment through the vent located just under and to the rear of the walk-though section between the front seats.

Actually, when kept in good nick, the heating system does work fairly well. I live in a climate (USA PNW) much like Jolly Old England and the heat in my Bus has never been a problem. On very cold days it does take some time for it to warm up the insides of the Bus, but once up to temp it has no problem holding it there. Defrosting has been adequate and I have only had "clouding over" problems with the rear side windows. But that is easily cleared up by cracking the driver and passenger windows a bit.

well said, my heating ducts are in good nick but ive just fitted a new engine with beetle heat exchangers
so i couldnt cable them up ,i fixed them open and man it was too hot i had to close em

Latest posts