Help - Alternator woes - dont knowwhat to do!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simo

Reaction score
I need help - ive suspected my alternator was a bit shagged by the noises coming from it last year , although it charges ok! Well today i thought id change the belt as the old one looked like its had its day and its a job i havnt done before, so after a bit of research job done! Not too difficult :D
Fitted the new belt and used all the shims (5 i think) but its obviously tighter than the old stretched one and the alt sounds pretty bad now! :shock: its prob the bearings by the sound of it, and i dont know what to do next? We are off camping thur so should i put the old belt back on and hope for the best till we get back or try to fix it before we go? How hard is it to change an alternator - the main prob to me looks like whats it fixed to at the rear? And can it be changed insitu?
I do have an access hole cut in my rear cargo floor by the previous owner so dont know if this will help? Also how do i know what size alt i have?
Any help gratefully received

Cheers simo

You can take the alternator out by itself but it is a little awkward. You will need to loose the fan housing slighting so you can lift the fan out over the alternator stand which is attached to the alternator.. Fiddly but can be done

Just had to change my bearings in alternator £13.00 for bearings, as above a bit fiddly but doesn't take too long you need to undo a few bits so you can lift the doghouse up to the the fan out and don't forget to remove the accelerator tube that runs through the shroud, you'll probably need a puller ofr the bearings

Latest posts