Help! chassis/Beam mountings

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodge

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me. Ive got a 1970 bay the problem I have at the moment is I need to replace a chassis leg due to it been rotten. I been told the beam mounting holes change on a 1970 so need to make sure I get the right one. the chassis leg itself is a Y shape not a straight one. Is there anyway I can measure the beam monting holes so I know im getting the correct one. Anyone know which year bus I can get a chassis leg from?
Thanks for any help.

Hodge, have a look at this thread here

Matt posted a pic with the two different mounting holes for early/late. Is it only the section that shoots out to the side that needs replacing? You can get repair sections for those. The bit that continues straight you can't but there are many threads on here where people have patched them. I thought I would have to get Y Section cuts but I am going to repair mine, there is loads of pics in my thread I think, if not, check the public photo link.

If memory serves it was the pre Aug 69 busses that had the smaller pattern and those after had the larger pattern. (Someone I hope will correct me!), but as your's is a 70 it would be the larger holes I would assume. There is someone on here (vwclassics.co.uk I think), who has Y Section cuts for £300 a pair.

Edit, that thread someone posted tht it changed mid 69

Thanks for the info mate. I looked at the picture but i cant notice much difference are we talking mm. I measured from the top bolt to the bottom bolt on mine and its 130mm. Do you know what pattern that makes it.

Ill let you know about the brakes aswell. Thanks.

Whistler said:
Hodge, have a look at this thread here

Matt posted a pic with the two different mounting holes for early/late. Is it only the section that shoots out to the side that needs replacing? You can get repair sections for those. The bit that continues straight you can't but there are many threads on here where people have patched them. I thought I would have to get Y Section cuts but I am going to repair mine, there is loads of pics in my thread I think, if not, check the public photo link.

If memory serves it was the pre Aug 69 busses that had the smaller pattern and those after had the larger pattern. (Someone I hope will correct me!), but as your's is a 70 it would be the larger holes I would assume. There is someone on here (vwclassics.co.uk I think), who has Y Section cuts for £300 a pair.

Edit, that thread someone posted tht it changed mid 69

The beam spacing changed in August 1969, so 1970 model year vans and on will have the later spacing.

Latest posts