Help...clutch release bearing shot after 200 miles!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elibomrod

Reaction score
Peed off. Out in van with new SSP engine, new clutch and release bearing running her in gently and now if I depress the clutch in it sounds like something Is rubbing.

Get definite whirr, rubbing sound, increases when clutch pedal is fully down. Sounds similar to release bearing noise on that t2 sound troubleshooting guide

I'm going to have to drop the engine again, that's twice in two months - guess it should be quicker this time :-(

Gearbox is old type without tube and I believe the clutch is correct 111198141X from heritage.
I think I adjusted the clutch correctly maybe around 1/2" before pressure change, maybe a bit tight...have I cooked the bearings but not setting enough play? Worried that if I change it the same will happen.

Anyone have any clues?

Some thoughts are:
Not enough play set in clutch
Too much play in Release fork bearing, will check when out
Bent forks so bearing not pushed no square

Not a good week see other posts...

I've always been told 1" free play at the pedal. If its been over adjusted its probably stuffed now. If your unsure on getting adjustment right get someone experienced to do it and or show you.

Have got the engine out...it does get easier!

Bearing feels ok, some slight scoring on the surface as if three contact faces have been sliding around bearing surface rather than the bearing rotating. Maybe that's what I heard but a bit unlikely...

I chewed through a release bearing in the same time period all because it wasnt disengaging correctly

Was making a hell of a racket when I decided to change it

If you have already dropped the engine and have access to the bellhousing why not fit a later model

It has increased the pedal feel and is a much better design

Latest posts