Funny clutch issue

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ands1

Reaction score
Last year I fitted a new Heavy duty fork kit, clutch & release bearing to my bus, I also fitted a new clutch cable & set up correctly, all good quality parts from M7.
I did a run from Manchester to Cornwall & general messing about last year, so probably about 1200 miles tops with new parts.
Just recently after getting bus out of storage I've noticed when warmed up it's difficult to find 1st & 2nd plus a crunch when getting reverse, So I adjust
the clutch tighter as instructed in Haynes manual, now I get a smal tinkle noise from engine end that goes away when I marginally or fully press the clutch pedal, in theory this is telling
me my release bearing is touching the clutch release plate mechanism which is a bad thing as it wears out the bearing quickly SO I loosen away the fork / bearing on the cable
by a small 1/4 turn on the nut / cable but then I struggle with 1st & 2nd again & reverse crunches.
Anyone had this before?
Seems ok when cold but when warmed up the gears get difficult?? I'm confused.
Thanks for help Andy

Have you checked your gearbox OIL ? And when was the last time it was changed ? Remember to make sure you can open the filler / oil level on the side before you drain any old oil,,, just in case :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Worth a peep anyway

Your analysis and fault finding are spot on.

The odd thing is that a quarter turn on the adjustment nut should not make much of a difference in the selection of gears.

Is it possible the cable is beginning to fail and is stretching under load?

ozziedog said:
Have you checked your gearbox OIL ? And when was the last time it was changed ? Remember to make sure you can open the filler / oil level on the side before you drain any old oil,,, just in case :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Worth a peep anyway

Last changed oil 6 years ago Ozzie :shock: :shock: I will change it, what concerns me is the tinkle noise that disappears when I touch the clutch marginally

Trikky2 said:
Your analysis and fault finding are spot on.

The odd thing is that a quarter turn on the adjustment nut should not make much of a difference in the selection of gears.

Is it possible the cable is beginning to fail and is stretching under load?

New cable Trikky, yes I anticipate a bit of stretch & adjustment, just worried the release bearing is slightly touching & turning with the clutch plate,
which in turn will knacker the bearing whilst I'm on holiday in France in a month or so's time :? :shock:

Can you feel the free play in the pedal? It should be fairly noticeable at the point where the bearing starts to engage with the plate. Do you have the recommended free play length at the pedal?

Had another thought, and that was cable related too, but something else had just popped into me head, is it possible that one of the new clips holding the bearing to the fork has come adrift, they can be funny so and so s can`t they.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have some funny thoughts,,,, said Hannible Lectur :shock: :lol: :shock:

ozziedog said:
Had another thought, and that was cable related too, but something else had just popped into me head, is it possible that one of the new clips holding the bearing to the fork has come adrift, they can be funny so and so s can`t they.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have some funny thoughts,,,, said Hannible Lectur :shock: :lol: :shock:

It's the first thing I thought of too - but the only way to check that is to take the engine out :(

Trikky2 said:
ozziedog said:

It's the first thing I thought of too - but the only way to check that is to take the engine out :(

I was deep in thought on that one, and I reckon you might be able to see if you pop the starter motor out and dangle an endiscope in there and have a peep, there was some really cheap ones a couple of years back in Aldi or Lidl that had endiscopes with a little remote screen to have a look. You might even be able to shove a little go pro in there and wiggle it about :idea:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Off to the land of nod now and rest that old brain,, :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
Trikky2 said:
ozziedog said:

I was deep in thought on that one, and I reckon you might be able to see if you pop the starter motor out and dangle an endiscope in there and have a peep, there was some really cheap ones a couple of years back in Aldi or Lidl that had endiscopes with a little remote screen to have a look. You might even be able to shove a little go pro in there and wiggle it about :idea:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Off to the land of nod now and rest that old brain,, :mrgreen:

I had one of those but I dropped it on the garage floor, after which it would only display a blue screen of death. I now have a usb one you plug into a laptop, it came from Amazon for about 30€ :lol:

You've given me more thought here, so what I've done is order an endiscope with LED's in so I can look in the bell housing, at the bottom of my bell housing I have an inspection hole probably about 3/4" diameter so I'll have a nosey through there & will report back :D

At weekend I poked the endiscope into the bell housing, all clips, everything is in place. The bearing is touching the pressure plate, dunno what I'm going to do, drives great & shifts great but if I want the bearing off the pressure plate I'll have to wind the cable off a bit then I'll struggle for gears :?: :?:

Ands1 said:
At weekend I poked the endiscope into the bell housing, all clips, everything is in place. The bearing is touching the pressure plate, dunno what I'm going to do, drives great & shifts great but if I want the bearing off the pressure plate I'll have to wind the cable off a bit then I'll struggle for gears :?: :?:

Odd one this. There should be at least half an inch free play on the pedal before it starts to operate the clutch. On mine it's a bit over and inch.

When you let the clutch pedal up, where is the pedal as it starts to bite? (Normally it's between half and two thirds of the way back up).

Latest posts