Help knocking noise while driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman86

Reaction score
Iv got a knocking noise coming from some where on my bus I can't pin point it but it is a steady knocking noise that gets faster as you accelerate but while driving if the clutch is dipped and I coast along the knocking stops. Which suggests it is gearbox related but it knocks in every gear. The noise is loudest at low revs getting quieter as revs increase. Can any one help me identify the problem cause I'm supposed to be headin to spa on Thursday and if it is a fixable problem iv only got Sunday to sort it.

could be the driveshafts/CV joints, especially as noise stops when out of gear = driveshafts not turning
common when CV joints are old and grease starts to compact/dry and the ball bearings move slightly out of place
give each driveshaft a shake from side to side - this will hopefully encourage the balls to go back into place
you can still drive the van and when you have time, repack the CV joints or replace the complete driveshafts

Thanks for the help it is exactly what I wanted to hear really lol I have since checked out the drive shafts and found a single loose bolt at the gearbox end. Will tighten it back up and take for a quick spin to see if it stops the noise.

hi yes i had just that same noise~! :roll: it is def the cv joints mine were getting louder and louder just had all replaced sorry but sounds just like mine :cry:

Latest posts