Help needed, Losing Power when over 50 mph.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some reading/watching and am pretty sure that both should go to full advance when the dissy shaft is twisted and one side defo isn’t. Also, they both don’t move out at the same time and there is a lot of play so I am going to replace it and will add in the new points and condenser at the same time.

I pulled the Dissy out, it looks in pretty good condition inside. There are 2 weighted bits inside, i can lever one so it hits the stop [the one on the left hand side in the pic] but the one on the right wont hit the stop when levered with a screw driver. Is that normal? Is one for max advance and one for min advance?
IMG_7984.jpeg

I’ve serviced a few Bosch 009’s and sold them on eBay. I used to get my parts from VWNOS.com in the states, really helpful fella. Here is a genuine 009 spring.

I think the one on the left in your pic is a rogue spring based on the one in this pic, it’s more like the one to the right.

Also make sure that the tabs aren’t bent in restricting the movement of weights.

Long shot, when I first got mine the throttle was fairly responsive, however no top end what's so ever, just bogged down.
Turned out to be the return spring under the accelerator pedal, so restricting travel somehow.

I said it's a long shot :)

I fitted a new Dissy, Cap, Rota, Condenser and Points over the weekend, re-timed it, and then took it out last night for a test and it passed pretty well.
I was out in it for about hour and half and gave it a good run on dual carriageways, and i could only notice a very, very slight hesitation at the top end.
I almost feel like i might have been imagining it but regardless, we was cruising up the hills at full speed and it seemed pretty good.
We are off to Santa Pod this weekend to watch the racing, that's a good 3ish hours each way from Brighton, so we shall see how it gets on.
Either way, i am going to retune the carb when we get back and see if that irons out the last little tiny murmurs of hesitation.
So thanks to you all for your ideas/input, i will update after the weekend and fingers crossed, its sorted!

Back to square 1 again, after the long test drive last week, we set off for Santa Pod on Fri morning and the hesitation was there straight away, this time it’s happening at any speed. Does anyone have any ideas as i am running out of them.
Now my thoughts are that maybe there is some crud in the carb and that it needs a refurb. I did run the tank pretty low the last time it was running properly so am hoping this will be it.
Does anyone have any other things for me to check?

Latest posts