Help needed please! Only one gear available.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookie

Reaction score
Hi Guys I need your help! On coming home from a camping trip in the lakes I've lost all gears but 1st. I stopped at some lights and pulled away in first only to find that there was no 2nd or 3rd or 4th or reverse available. First is now located where neutral used to be and neutral is now where reverse should be i.e if I push down and put it in reverse it's neutral! I had to get a tow home from the AA and looking underneath I can't see the problem. I had something similar in the past when I lost all gears and it was the gearshift coupling but that looks ok and where the gearstick leaves the floor it is still connected to the shift rod.

My clutch is fine and works perfectly it's just that I cannot seem to get any gears other than 1st and it all feels wrong when I fish around with the gearstick, Any ideas please?

Check the pinch bolt on the front shift rod hasn't come loose and the connection just in front of the gear box you should be able to see if it's come apart
It's sometimes an easy fix don't panic

Mark

The connection in front of the gearbox is fine, whereabouts is the pinch bolt on the front shift rod? is that near the bottom of the gearstick itself ? because that all seemed solid and connected to me! I wonder if it is a linkage covered by my belly pans ?

If you follow the gearshift rod back you'll come to it unless you have a front splash pan you may not be able to see it it's a square shaped pointy bolt that's connects the front shift rod to the rear

Latest posts