Help needed with engine running rough.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andys

Reaction score
Hi
The engine is a stanard 1600 .
Im having problems starting it and when it does start its running rough.
Slugish, no backfireing , lack of power

Thanks in advance for any help.
Andy

Has it been serviced recently? could be points closed up if its got them, valve clearances, timing out, vacuum advance not working, air leak could all be possibilties. More details would help a diagnosis my friend :)

WHS^ matey. once we know that the basic stuff is in order then it helps with a specific diagnosis.what engine - SP/TP?

off the top of my head,I'd say getting the static timing right is the first step! info on timing will be in your Haynes/International/Bentley etc Manual.

To be honest it is coming up for a sevice. i did think it could be the points as it still has some, ( need to change)and timing.
As thats what i should start with i'll order the bits i need and crack on.

Thanks .

andys said:
To be honest it is coming up for a sevice. i did think it could be the points as it still has some, ( need to change)and timing.
As thats what i should start with i'll order the bits i need and crack on.

Thanks .

ok mate - let us know how you get on. tbh rough running could be 101 things,so start with basics.just out of interest has it gradually become like this or just over night? if its the former it could suggest point that the points have slipped imho.

Sounds like points to me. You have to remember that the points have a plastic follower that runs on the distributor. As the plastic wears the points gap closes up, therefore they need adjusting every so often. You may notice the idle is affected first then you get bigger hints such as back firing.
Remember to check your timing after adjusting the points as the points affect the timing.

Latest posts