Help needed with location of rear seat belt mounts

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrilliantBlue

Reaction score
Hi, would anyone with a nice original van be able to give me measurements to locate the factory position of the rear seatbelt mount near the top of the rear wheel tub?
I'm welding up a pretty rotten van and would like to put theses mounts back in the correct position.
Thanks very much guys!
Cheers
Dave :D

Hole is 9 in. to the inside edge of the tub, 4 7/8 in. to the angled rear wall. '71 kombi, original.

Cool, thanks for that, really useful.
I think what is left of my mount is original, the brace part is a rectangle with a flange on one long edge and a smaller flange on the other with a notch.
Is this original? and if so does the notch go to the inside or the outside of the van?
image-3.jpg

Thanks again..... Dave

Yes, that's what my flanges look like. On both the left and right, the notch is on the upper end, towards the outside.
Which is rather odd, because the notch has no apparent purpose, but must have been made in a L-hand and R-hand
version for them to be installed that way. No doubt one of the VW forums has a 5-page thread where people
speculate endlessly on the purpose of that notch . . .

Thanks for looking.
Thats odd tho, the bracket in the pic is from the left side of my van, and I would assume its original.
It can only be oriented with the notch upper to the inside or lower to the outside!
If anyone else could take a look at theirs, I'd be interested before I weld it in!

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts