HELP PLEASE with my 68 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gowans1

Reaction score
I have a 68 early bay which seems to have a electrical problem, the engine doesn't run properly when starting off and driving on a low load the vw seems to misfire but when you get up to a decent speed she is fine. As soon as she has start to pull up a hill or struggle it as though she missing on one of the cylinders. We have had a few mechanics look at it and they seem to think it some type of electrical fault. I have changed the distributor leads, plugs, carb, all gaskets. The mechanics reckon the engine is very strong. When she is stationary she revs and ticks over lovely but as soon as I start to drive her she seems to struggle but as she gets speed up she improves. I feel like I have tried everything and don't know what else to try. Please help me to get my bay working properly. Thank you

Hiya,

Thank you for your reply.

The original vw distributor and a new one have both been on and does the same thing.

Bluesnailman said:
Have they checked that the distributor is advancing properly?
i think what he meant to ask is that you should check the vacuum can on the distributor if its working properly. cheers

If you suck on the vacuum pipe there is good movement on the distributor.

Also the coil does get hot.

Thanks

Sounds like a carb or inlet manifold problem. On light throttle you have a higher vacuum so any air leaks will affect the engine where as at higher throttle openings the effect will only be very slight.

Same applies to the way the carb has been set up.

It's also possible the idle jet is blocked and the carb has been mis set to compensate which would also give the symptoms you describe.

Thank you for your reply, how would I know if the inlet manifold is leaking? Is there some type of test I can do. Thanks

Latest posts