Help.. Weird cabin whistle noise

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steenfeldt

Reaction score
Hi all
I have this weird problem. When I drive at 65-70 mph I get a really loud whistle sound around the the driver side door. It sounds like it's from the quarter window.
I have tried to seal the windows from the outside with tape in hope it would help. I also taped the ariel but that didn't help either. :(

When I open any window in the van the sound goes away. The sound is currently so loud that I have to drive with my window open in any weather.

No one??? Every one in here are just having smooth rides or with no wind issues at all??

I had some whistling issues with my quarter light. It was also very loose when the catch was off. I tightened up the whole mechanism and this stopped most of the issue ... but it still whistles a bit if the wind is in the wrong direction and blowing a bit.

Raggles said:
I had some whistling issues with my quarter light. It was also very loose when the catch was off. I tightened up the whole mechanism and this stopped most of the issue ... but it still whistles a bit if the wind is in the wrong direction and blowing a bit.

Is your wind-up window loose, maybe the felt needs replacing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
Is your wind-up window loose, maybe the felt needs replacing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

could be, I'll take a look next time I have a chance ...

might sound strange but have you got a twin mount ariel on the drivers side ? i have a similar sound but only at around 30mph and the twin mount ariel caused mine, frustrating but nowt I can do now !!

Haha no turbo but big engine tho.. The felt looks a bit worn so could be the issue. I don't have two mount ariel so not it. I have thought it may be the actual door gab. I know on T3's they made a rubber lip on the front side of the doors also because of whistle noise... Hmm this makes me crazy

Bluesnailman said:
It's probably the turbo charger, if you're doing 70 then there must be one fitted somewhere.....

haha, egr or dump valve...

I get the same whistling sound from the door at speed but only when i open the front vents. I would check the front grill vents and make sure the seal hasn't perished as sometimes fast air flow in from here can cause a whistle somewhere else.

Tape over the door gaps on the offending side with frog tape or similar. Tape the top of the door and the two sides and the bottom of the door, tape all four sides of each window and each quarter light. Get in the opposite door and go fir a spin, if it cures it then remove the tapes one at a time until it comes back and you have a chance of isolating it. Also it could be a combination thing as draughts need an entry and an exit so keep your eye on the front vents under the screen, the grill on the outside and heating vents like the walk through and the rear heat vents.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, any old masking tape.

Latest posts