Help! Wiring cock-up

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Reaction score
I've just carried out an alternator conversion as part of my engine re installation. I followed the wiring diagram on speedy jims website. I've obviously done something wrong though as it's not worked out right.

I've been over numerous times today but i can't sort it.

When i turn the ignition on don't get the normal ignition lights i only get one green light, which i've bever seen lit before and don't know what it's for either. It's this light below

DSCF4537.jpg

The wires are as in the pics below

Thick live wire to D+ and the green wire to B+

DSCF4539.jpg

The coil wired up as, black to positive and the distributor to negative.

DSCF4541.jpg

There was a spur coming from the black wire which i assumed was for the choke on the old single carb. I've kept this but have taped it off for now.

that'll be the oil pressure light looks like you have hooked D+ onto the wrong wire

isnt the green wire not supposed to be D+

thinking about it the oil lights lit because of the two wires being arse about face...sort that and it should be ok

I'm a div, it's always the most obvious thing that you don't do!

Thanks for that.

But i'm sure the light you call the oil light never came on before when the ignition was on. I'm sure the square light with corner flashes on it underneath the oil light came on.

Could the oil light be on as it hasn't been run after re installation?

The oil & generator light should always be on when the ignition is on (engine not running), and go out when the engine is started.

:oops: I know i haven't driven it since last summer but how embarrasing when you can't remember the dash lights :roll:

Thanks for the replies i think it's sorted now :) :oops:

Dean said:
I've just carried out an alternator conversion as part of my engine re installation. I followed the wiring diagram on speedy jims website. I've obviously done something wrong though as it's not worked out right.

I've been over numerous times today but i can't sort it.

When i turn the ignition on don't get the normal ignition lights i only get one green light, which i've bever seen lit before and don't know what it's for either. It's this light below

DSCF4537.jpg

The wires are as in the pics below

Thick live wire to D+ and the green wire to B+

DSCF4539.jpg

The coil wired up as, black to positive and the distributor to negative.

DSCF4541.jpg

There was a spur coming from the black wire which i assumed was for the choke on the old single carb. I've kept this but have taped it off for now.

Dean, I'm sure you've got the alternator connections the wrong way round. The red cable goes to the threaded stud.
I'll check in the morning when I uncover the bus. :)

Thanks for the replies. All sorted now. Just waiting for csp linkage to get it running again and then off to the mot then back on the road :mrgreen:

Latest posts