Help with 71-72 callipers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesmith84

Reaction score
Calliper 1 has no markings at all and has two bleeders:
881A5EDC-06F5-4D10-9BAB-2615AA073F33.jpg

A04C9CFC-D39B-4C98-A0B8-9B71DD5CE7A6.jpg

Calliper 2 is marked "52 ATE VW" on the inlet side and "ATE 63" on the other side. This calliper has one bleeder.
B6A02E21-0964-402B-A857-A8AAE020FC80.jpg

C3AFC27E-EE11-4E4A-89F7-7497D94284F7.jpg

Calliper 3 is marked "120 ATE VW" on the inlet side and "ATE 105" on the other side. This calliper has two bleeders.
A0FC4A77-DF66-456F-9546-7AE9E8C15C45.jpg

78281C97-E71F-48C5-B27F-A74469B2D991.jpg

I bought callipers 1 and 2 second hand and they came off a 71 american bus. Calliper 3 is off my 72.

I'm just wondering which pair out of the three I should put back on the bus after I've rebuilt them.

I understand that if the calliper has one bleeder then it must be mounted with the bleeder at the top. Does this mean that callipers with two bleeder can be mounted either way round?

davesmith84 said:
I bought callipers 1 and 2 second hand and they came off a 71 american bus. Calliper 3 is off my 72.

I'm just wondering which pair out of the three I should put back on the bus after I've rebuilt them.

I understand that if the calliper has one bleeder then it must be mounted with the bleeder at the top. Does this mean that callipers with two bleeder can be mounted either way round?

Personally, I'd dismantle them all, and use whichever bits are the best condition (assuming they are all the early bay calipers rather than lates). Late caliper pistons will fit into early calipers, but are longer and won't permit fitting of new pads.

If possible, keep one with two bleed nipples to rebuild as a spare, then you can swap it onto your van readily whichever side is needed in future. :)

No probs. I forgot to say in my previous post that yes, I believe the second bleed nipple was introduced to allow calipers to be used on either side, reducing stock and part numbers required. Just bleed from the upper nipple. :)

Tofufi said:
No probs. I forgot to say in my previous post that yes, I believe the second bleed nipple was introduced to allow calipers to be used on either side, reducing stock and part numbers required. Just bleed from the upper nipple. :)

Calipers are handed, although it might be just the mount holes which are different diameters for the top shouldered bolt, rather than the whole caliper which is different. I thought the extra bleed nipple was to eliminate the problem of air pockets?

Cheers.

Weird, the non marked calliper accepts either bolt (threaded or shouldered) but that has two bleeders so I assume I'm OK to mount that calliper on either side.

Both ATE callipers only allow the shouldered bolt into one of the holes so they are clearly sided. The Bentley manual says the shouldered bolt goes in the bottom.

Apologies for missing that :)

I think both the ones on my bus accept the shouldered bolt on either hole..

Latest posts