Help with engine codes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pellwood

Reaction score
Ok so here is my lump...fairly stock 1600 twin port (just the way i like it) :D

bb29a7f1-eef1-4ba3-a9ef-588cb78c90a0_zps4cfzqoty.jpg

I have googled a fair bit about engine codes & i knew i had a replacement engine when i bought the bus. So not a matching numbers bus :(
Anyway here is the engine code

IMG_06031_zpscnvfy9ax.jpg

but as you can see its stamped on a plate that is riveted to the crank case. So is it a B code engine (B 5545) or an AD code engine (AD 316249)? Both codes put it as a 1600 but slightly different ages and I think the B code engines are single port. I'm tempted to take the plate off to see what is underneath. Could it just be the crank case that has been replaced? I know its a dual relief crankcase as it has the AS 41 stamp on the side of the case.

What do you think?

p.s. pls ignore any oil leaks you see :oops: I'm in the process of re-fitting all the gaskets.

That's a Vege re-con. They're brilliant :) I have one in the Beetle, it runs like a watch. Take a couple of photos of the underneath if you want to know if it's originally a single port or twin port case (single port, as a rule are single relief cases, twin port twin relief... as a rule) but I'd imagine it'd be a twin relief case.

Thanks happystamps it is dual relief, it has two large flat head screw plugs front and rear.

Latest posts