Help with rear bumper splash pans

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwnutt

Reaction score
I have had my bay apart for two years now, painting and such. This weekend I finally finished the assembly with one excetion,It seems like I am missing some type of bracket for the rear splash pans. It is the part that takes a bolt through the end of the bumper. It just does not look right unless i am missing a piece. I think i may have splitty splash pans trying to fit on a 1969 bay. Anybody got pictures or some help?

Thanks

The slash pans are attached to the body with one big bolt on the flange toward the front of the van, a couple of tiny nuts and bolts in the middle of the unedrside and, to the bumper bracket, a small bolt.

Theres no brackets that I know of for fitting the splash guard on early bays.

Do you think an early bay and splitty are different? Mine would not line up right without digging into the paint on the body. It works where it attaches to the bumper bracket, and bumper, but the body seems at a weird angle and inches away. Or maybe I have late bay splash pans.

Sounds like they may be the wrong ones because normally the rubber strip on the plate fits snug to the inside of the bumper and theres a bit of room between the pans flange, where the bigger bolt goes, to put in the rubber washer that holds it seperate from the painted body.

I'm sure 'hank' has some rubber bobbins between the splash guard and the actual body, I'll try and post some pictures to show you what I mean (its too dark outside now)

vwnutt said:
I have had my bay apart for two years now, painting and such. This weekend I finally finished the assembly with one excetion,It seems like I am missing some type of bracket for the rear splash pans. It is the part that takes a bolt through the end of the bumper. It just does not look right unless i am missing a piece. I think i may have splitty splash pans trying to fit on a 1969 bay. Anybody got pictures or some help?

Thanks
Hi The splash pans for split buses wont fit early bays they are different they made them for 68-71 bays
72 bays had different ones again just 1 year only, late bays didnt have any.thanks chris vw emporium.
should have some coming in soon if you need them.

Hi, Dunno if this will help, but C + C seem to stock all the little bits and their catalogue is very helpful too. I got new splashpans and fitting kit from here. :lol:

imgbumper024.jpg

Latest posts