help with Split charging

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sallyandsean

Reaction score
I have a split charging system in my van but never had a battery. I have just been given 2 car batterys, one being 55ah and the other being 65ah. If I link these together does it make it 120ah or will it not work at all :?: :?

A car battery will work but theres the issue of space, 2 battery's will take up a lot of space.
I paid about £45 for an 85AH leisure battery from a local caravan place, fits nicely on the spare battery tray. I'm sure some have managed to fit a 110AH battery in the same place.
As for fitting the batterys together you would need to fit them in parallel but then you would only get an average AH (so about 60)and its not really worth it

froggy said:
A car battery will work but theres the issue of space, 2 battery's will take up a lot of space.
I paid about £45 for an 85AH leisure battery from a local caravan place, fits nicely on the spare battery tray. I'm sure some have managed to fit a 110AH battery in the same place.
As for fitting the batterys together you would need to fit them in parallel but then you would only get an average AH (so about 60)and its not really worth it

I don't understand why you'd only get the average AH out of the two batteries. You won't get the two added together, but surely more than one alone?

Personally, I wouldn't parallel two dissimilar batteries.

But I would bear in mind also that if they are from a car, they are likely to be batteries designed for starting engines - lots of amps for short duration and rarely running flat. They will not be deep cycle leisure batteries, which are designed for running pretty flat and then recharging. SO I suspect they wouldn't last long.

Cheers,
Nick

Latest posts