help with starting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swartie

Reaction score
Hi,

all you guys running twin carbs, does you van really struggle to start first time in the cold. Cos mine does, she turns over for ages then will start firing and eventually catches.

after she has a bit of a warm up she is fine the rest of the day. Now as it has been particularly cold these last few days, my van just wont start.

I presume this is because of the cold, how can i get round this.

cheers

i am runing a 1641 by the way with twin dells

Hello mate. mine is like that at the moment, its mainl;y cos you need to get that cold fuel up them cold pipes into those bigger cold carbs.

Just need to get used to a bit of a tachnique when starting it. (works for me) I turn it over once and then it does a little fire but nothing exciting, then i pump the old accelerator pedal to get some fuel up there and then turn and pump the throttle and it fires right up. :D

All other combinations don`t seem to work in the cold, but once it has been running for a coulpe of mines its totally fine all day. 8)

Hope that helps, I am sure there is a more technical reason but hey this works for me :D

cheers, mine just turns over at the moment not firing that first time.

hmmm. will also post this question on JK i think

cheers for your help easy.

Doesn`t sound like anything to worry about as it is the norm on twin carbs. Just keep that battery fully charged in case that engine needs some cranking! 8)

You could do, but its a pain to take the tops of all the time and with cold hands its not the easiest thing. I would stick with cranking em over and get that fuel up to em :D

i'm running a 1641 with twin carbs.

Mine fires first time everytime.

Runs like sh!t for the first 5 mins and is then fine. This is because my carbs don't have chokes in them. Daft question but obvious - does yours have chokes in? If so the butterfly valves may be warn. A good garage can strip, set, rebuilt and balance your carbs for circa. £80. (some do a free check).

It appears that carbs flow better with out the chokes (once warm).

When i bought my van it ran uneven until warm and had 'flat spots', i had the carbs balanced and set, since then it runs like a dream.

You can fit an electric pump instead of the stock one, as you turn the ignition on it will fill up the carbs, wait a few seconds then crank, it should help a lot.

my 1641 with 40's has a stock pump & that takes a bit to start it.

Good choice with the electric pump, gonna fit one of them before the summer (arse about face I know :oops: )

These electric pumps. Never seen or heard of these before. Where can I find them and how much can I expect to pay?

Sounds like a plan!

Cheers dude

http://www.streetstyleandpower.com/publicRouter.cfm/loadPage/94?cftoken=69871310&cfid=4058615

£42 from SSP, its a 4psi 12v electric pump. You may be able to get one from your local motor factors...

Just get an Empi electonic ignition from Kingfisher Kustoms, they are half the price. In fact you can get the pump from there too...

Latest posts