Hi, New to early bay. 1971 Westy with flared rear arches??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty oval

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the early bay scene. After doing several beetles I needed something a bit bigger for my family.

I am now the owner of a 1971 bay Westfalia, LHD American import.

Solid apart from a rusted out battery corner. While looking for rear pannels I am comfused over the rear arches on my bus. It think it has flared rear arches(like the later bays), is this correct for a 1971 small rear light bay? As I need to repair a small amount of the arch.

Steve.

Thanks, So mine must be a 72 model then! Sorry to be sounding a bit thick. :?

Its not registered yet but the US documentation says its a 71??

Thanks for the info. :mrgreen:

VIN number and M plate will tell you also pics may help.....arches been rolled or pulled in the past to let in larger tyres/wheels?

Actually I lie there is a slight flare to the rear arch thinking about it I dont really notice it on my 71, the 79 is more pronounced.....

a pic in the primer stage

DSCF0146.jpg

Cheers, that picture is just like mine! Fuel filler in the middle of the pannel and the bigger flared arches. (with small rear lights).

So I have a 71, but I need to buy a 72> repair pannel for the rear arch repair. :?

Thanks,

I will post some pictures the next time I get into the garage!

Thanks

My (4th Jan '71) bay has flared rear arches. I've always believed they came in for the '71 MY.

Cheers,

Thanks for your help. This was the first job on the bus, hope the rest isnt as confusing!!

Thanks. :D

ooro said:
yea mine has slightly flared arches......the change started from 71 onwards.....so your bus is correct

I noticed that on your bus once Steve, made me scratch my head then someone enlightened me about it, I believe it was Egotrippin.

Karl

Latest posts