Horn goes off when on full lock!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Dormobile

Reaction score
Anyone had this happen when turning on full lock the horn goes off! Had to disconnect so as not to drive fellow road users off the road! Thought it may be the earth now not so sure. ny tips would be gratefully received as a horn is quite handy!!

Have a look at your steering coupling? If it needs replacing buy genuine.
If its split then metal mesh could be shortng out, with a repro one they are such poor quality that them protrudes through them rubber and this shorts out.
I spent days tryingto sort it on mine.

Check the plastic ring around the steering rid going down through the floor. I thought mine was earthing out near the steering wheel at the top until I noticed the plastic bit had come out slightly and it was earthing with the floor.

Thanks for the tips will try, any pics of the plastic ring area not entirely sure what I am lookin for ?

The steering coupling looks fine so far from what u can see.

You won't k ow if its the steering coupling at fault until you remove it from the van and inspect the bolt holes with the metal spacers removed. And if your doing that you may as well put some heat shrink on the spacers anyway to ensure it doesn't happen at a later date.

Thanks all will take a quick peak now but otherwise will have to wait till I'm back of holiday. It's more noticeable in the Dordogne, plenty of windy roads :0))

If its the outer column earthing you will be able to reproduce the problem by waggling it a bit. The plastic bush at the bottom of the outer column will have some visible damage and allow the tube to move.

Had the same problem with my van and replaced a multitude of washers etc with the problem still there. I even insulated the inner column with tape which helped pass the MOT but the bloody thing came back again!!!! I gave up in the end and bypassed the horn to a seepage switch on the dash board. Not ideal but at least I don't get strange looks when man overlong my van or st the receiving end of road ragers who don't believe it went off by accident!

justcruzin said:
Mine was caused by my keychain hitting the column. I wrapped a bandana around it and problem solved. LOL

:lol: ^^^^ WHS

Every time i went round a right hand bend, roundabouts were a pain. Stuck some pipe lagging on for the time being,till i get around to painting it, or using some sticky black plastic which would be quicker and solve the problem!

Cheers!

Alistair

Aha, that reproduces it key chain hitting the steering column, paint has worn off and the key seems to cause the problem. Will just use the one key for now and see if this is the problem, if so assuming I just need to repaint which is on my list of things to do. Will update....

null_zpsfb4d66bf.jpg

Latest posts