Hot start relay fix?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoddy

Reaction score
Hello...

My bus seems to restart start fine after a run if it's only been left a short period of time. But, if it's been for 30-60 mins then it tends to take a few goes turning her over before she fires.

I have heard about the hot start relays, is this what they help with? Or is there another trick to getting them to fire up again when they are still warm but been left a bit?

Cheers
Craig

Hot stat issues in my experience happen when you try to start after say filling up with fuel after a run. The small solenoid wires to the starter have a long run from the battery to the ignition switch then back to the starter, over the years the resistance builds up and you get a voltage drop when hot. Your problem could be timing, or poorly set up carb. It could be the way you start it. The manual says something like keep you foot on the accelerator whilst cranking when hot. Give it a try.

Think u could be right re the way you start them. Quick pump of the gas pedal and hold half way and she fires first turn even if she's been sat for over a month. I'll be brave and try diff positions re starting when she's warm. Stock 1600Tp.

Cheers

Also check your valve clearances. In my experience (40 years of aircooled VWs) many hot start problems are caused by tight tappets lifting the valves off their seats when the engine is very hot. This also causes the valves to burn 'pie-slices' out of the valve heads, again causing hot start problems.

Latest posts