How do I align steering wheel after pitman arm removed?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
I've recently fitted a new beam and noticed that my steering box pitman arm was actually dead stopping on the front valance!
Looks like I previously fitted the pitman arm in the wrong position :oops:
Anyhow, repositioned the pitman arm so it doesn't foul on the bodywork. Got the steering box central. Then centred the dogleg arm on the beam pivot pin. Then adjusted the drag link to match.
Unfortunately the steering wheel is now off centre by 45 degrees.
I fear if I try to adjust the drag link to centralise the steering wheel, then it will move the central position on the actual steering box?
Any advice appreciated!!

The steering box is stiffer at centre point so I wouldn't just re-centre. I would undo drag link, check that you have full lock to lock movement and check that steering wheel is centred correctly first, so it sits right when the middle of lock to lock is identified, then move the front wheels close to straight as you can, and then adjust drag link until it fits the arm....

Could be all wrong, but worked for me and i'm sure drag link is where any adjustment should be made

Dave

Latest posts