How easy is it to have dashboard painted?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharman

Reaction score
All welding done on my Camper now and while it's virtually a shell I like the look of the painted dashboards. Is it much of a ball ache to do? I've still got the original dash on my 71 Westy and everything attached to it including wiring etc.
I'll want to paint L90D to match the rest of bus. Just wondered how easy it is to remove from the camper and is it best to do the top section nearest windscreen black to reduce any glare?
Any advice on do's/don'ts appreciated. Cheers

Quite easy, need to remove the instrument binnacle, the glove box, air vents, steering wheel and disconnect switches. The whole dash is fixed by 8 screws along the top edge by the windscreen and 2 bolts each side by the doors. Couple of photos to help:

Agreed, easy to remove and paint. As for the top? Don't worry about painting it black, I painted mine white and to be honest yes although you can see some reflection in the screen at times, it really does not cause a problem in my opinion.

I've always fancied doing mine but I'm unsure how to remove the padding.

Padding is removed by undoing the nuts from behind the top of the dash. Tight space, but easy with the whole dash out.

Latest posts