How I built my Interior units for my '72 Bay. FINISHED!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just discovered this thread & what amazing craftmanship!!!!

Well done, it puts my poor effort to shame and I believed mine to be decent.
Now I,ve realised it isn't.

Top work.. :mrgreen:

i dont know how i missed it either :shock:

the swingout cooker is perfection, just exactly how im dreaming mine will look when finished.

Hi guys,

Since my last post I've visited my bus in Devon twice. There has been a couple of unforseen issues with the bus such as when Carl repaired a section on the near side where the tailgate shuts he then discovered that the section immediately under the corner of the gutter also needed replacing which he duly cut out and also informed me that the gutter on that corner had seen better days and could do with replacing. I then made some enquiries about sourcing some secondhand gutter and was quoted some ridiculous prices. The upsetting part of this was that I had a complete roof which had a complete gutter on which I cut up and took the tip at the end of last year which just goes to show, never throw anything away until your project is finished. On the brightside I received a phonecall from Carl to say he'd found he had some guttering which was in good condition and so problem solved... This is still yet to be finished.

The original replacement near side cab door which I used when we set up the wheel arches had to be replaced yet again because it had a crease which Carl said wouldn't be worth repairing so I sourced a NOS door which even though it was NOS still needed the corner to be repaired. Fortunately the corner on the disregarded replacement door was in excellent condition and so I cut that out and Carl has now welded that in. Once the NOS door was hung for a trial fit, Carl noticed that once againt he alignment of the wheelarch was out again by approx. 8-10mm and so this is obviously unacceptable so Carl trimmed through the wheelarch where it joined the floor pan up to the seat tub then with a hydroelastic jack, jacked the wheelarch out at the top and then at the bottom approx. 8-10mm and then inserted a make up strip to take up the gap and welded it in and polished it off. Once again a superb job and unnoticable. Also when Carl compared the drivers door to the passenger door, it was noticed there was no fresh air vents down where the front hinges are on the drivers door, Carl said this was unusual as he hadn't seen this on a door before and so he set about patching all the vents which was on the passenger door to match. As for progress on the rest of the bus, it is coming on quite nicely now with most of the drivers side now prepped and has had a coat of primer on and most of the back as well.

Alot of attention has gone in around the two rear corners where every new panel which myself and friend fitted by mig plugging, Carl has now seam welded and polished off and both corners are now prepped and primed. One more mod on the back which we're going to do is to cut off the seams that are exposed behind the bumper where the panels are joined together, these are now going to be smoothed off for a more custom look and cleaning.

I would say the body is 75% prepped now so hopefully in my next visit in approx. 4 weeks we shall be close to laying on some paint.

I've also done a few trial fits on the parcel shelf but quite difficult at the moment as we haven't got the dash in so I can't quite detemine the height to fit it at but I've got it near enough at the moment but still lots more work to do on it. Carl has taken off the two air vents which run to the two door pillar post and they have now been cut and flattened off. By doing this it now allows for when the parcel shelf is fitted the little channels that the kick panel clip in to on the post will now be renewed and extended up under the parcel shelf making a much more cleaner line than the original kick panel which curves around the air box. Another nice custom touch, the plan is to not see anything of the inside of the front panel as I'm building a back in the parcel shelf and the new kick panels will be fully carpeted so will hopefully look quite trick when finished off.

Still trial fitting my centre console which I made in cordex which is like a plastic corrigated sheet, hopefully I've got it near enough of a fit to start making a prototype, this is proving quite time consuming as I haven't got the bus to keep popping it in and out of and so I've got to get it right the first time. When I've got some pictures of the console made and some more progress on the parcel shelf then I shall post them for you all to look at.

So here are the pictures of the progress of the bus over the last two months.

img2481r.jpg

img2482i.jpg

img2483c.jpg

These are the 3 sections which Carl cut out from the NOS door. Even though it is NOS, it had still laid about for 30 odd years leaning down on that corner which as everyone knows is where all the rust accumulates.

img2530k.jpg

img2529p.jpg

img2528w.jpg

This is the corner I'd cut out from the original replacement door which had a perfect corner with no rot whatsoever. I'm so glad that I'd kept this door.

img2497l.jpg

This is the NOS door showing the section Carl cut out for the corner replacement.

img2496m.jpg

This is the finished outer skin after Carl had patched it and ready for polishing off after welding.

img2495r.jpg

This is the view of the inside of the door after the repair work. Nice and shiny steel now cleaned up. Note the air vents that Carl had to blank off to match the drivers door which required lots of work.

img2550e.jpg

Here's another shot of Carl hard at work patching the vents.

img2554h.jpg

These patches have been inserted so once the welding has been cleaned off, gives Carl a solid base for skimming and prepping.

img2552kh.jpg

img2551w.jpg

img2553f.jpg

These are another shot of the repaired corner.

img2508g.jpg

img2507p.jpg

img2506z.jpg

img2505b.jpg

These are the shots of the NOS door being trial fitted. This is when Carl noticed that we needed to readjust the front arch.

img2504a.jpg

img2503r.jpg

img2502kf.jpg

This is my replacement engine lid which is completely free of rust and was bought at Vanfest last year. Nice find.

img2484s.jpg

This is the section of the roof from the centre of the bus. This wasn't visible untilt he fibreglass top came off from the Devon pop top. Carl, after cutting out welded in a new section. This had to be repeated on the otherside as well. So here's a lesson here... If you're restoring your Devon bay window, it's worth taking your pop top off to check the roof underneath. I spoke to a guy at this years Volksworld show who said he'd also removed his fibreglass skirt from his Devon pop top and found it looked like a Samba underneath. Be warned!

img2499j.jpg

This is the repair patch after a skim and prepped ready for paint. Once the bus has been painted, Carl will Waxoyl the roof area which is covered by the fibreglass skirt so hopefully this won't occur again.

img2485g.jpg

img2486s.jpg

This is the section which Carl removed from underneath the near side gutter which is yet to be renewed and also the gutter replaced above it.

img2487c.jpg

This is the near side corner where the tailgate shuts above the engine lid. This area has been addressed as you will see in later photos.

These following pictures are from the previous visit where Carl was baremetaling and prepping. You can also see the same shots below where they're now in primer.

img2488p.jpg

img2489e.jpg

img2490ay.jpg

img2491m.jpg

img2492f.jpg

img2493en.jpg

img2498fb.jpg

img2500bt.jpg

img2501m.jpg

img2537d.jpg

img2538s.jpg

img2539l.jpg

img2540r.jpg

img2541k.jpg

img2542n.jpg

img2543d.jpg

img2544c.jpg

img2545b.jpg

img2546h.jpg

img2547ot.jpg

img2548n.jpg

img2549l.jpg

Carl also noticed that the flare on the near side wheel arch is slightly narrower than the flare on the off side arch. Can't see any visible reason for this, there is no evidence of any accident damage on the near side and the panel is the original so to correct this, Carl will slit along the flange of the arch for its full length on the outer skin and the inner skin, pull the outer lip forward to give the correct profile and then insert a small strip approx. 4-5mm wide and the length of the flange so both profiles are the same both sides. This is typical of the attention to detail that the body is receiving to create a 100% finish on the body shell.

Once again thanks for taking your time to look. All comments will be welcome.

Regards

Steve

Hotrod said:
...The upsetting part of this was that I had a complete roof which had a complete gutter on which I cut up and took the tip at the end of last year...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Great work going on there as usual, this is going to be one hell of a special bus with your interior in it too!

Keep the updates coming 8)

;)

Looking like Carl is a saint 8)

Its a pain when you keep on coming across new rot :(

Keep the updates coming as at least yours is moving forward ;)

Hi guys,

Just a quick. Received these pictures a few evenings back from Lee the trimmer. Very pleased with his work as usual. Going to Devon the weekend after next to have another look at the bus. Carl should have all my door cards that I've made trial fitted by then. Any adjustments needed I'll do whilst I'm there so Lee can then take them back and start work on them. He's also bringing one of my front seats with him that will be finished by our visit. Can't wait to see it. I've asked Lee if he can take pictures step by step as he does the trimming on my seats and interior. I thought I'd make a nice post so everyone can see how it's done including myself rather than just seeing the finished article. I've also been looking at some of your projects, lots of good work going on there. Looks very similar to when I helped my friend do his a couple of years ago. When I get more time I'll PM some of you to have a good chat. Hope you like what you see...

stevesvan119.jpg

stevesvan120.jpg

stevesvan121.jpg

stevesvan122.jpg

stevesvan123.jpg

stevesvan124.jpg

Regards

Steve

Looks brilliant 8)

Can't wait to see it in the van (bet you can't either) ;)

Hi guys,

Went to Devon this weekend to see how the Camper was progressing. Carl has now smoothed the dash which really looks smart. Just need to make up my mind the position of where the gauges are going to go. Carl has worked out four options and is going to email them to me so I can pick which one I think is the best. I've also more or less finished making the templates for my parcel shelf so I can now go on to finish it off and the next visit I'll trial fit and if all is well it'll go to Lee for trimming in black vinyl.

Carl and I have also worked out where we're going to position the rev counter. It is manufactured by Moon and will be fitted on the left hand side of the steering column level with the parcel shelf. Should look really nice and trick. The bracket will be custom fitted to the column and welded into place. All the other gauges on the dash are Autometer. There'll be an oil pressure gauge, a clock, a cylinder head temperature gauge and a fuel gauge and these are 2 & 5/8's in diameter. I'm also fitting an Autometer electronic speedo. The ash tray has also been removed and smoothed and underneath where the ashtray would have been will now be 4 1/2" diameter lights, one amber for the indicators, one red for ignition, one green for oil light and one blue for headlamp beam.

Lee has now taken away the padded section at the top of the dash which incorporates the grab handle for retrimming in black vinyl. I've also laid out the design of the cab door cards which incorporates black border all round and the beige pleated section and custom speaker grills incorporated into the panel. He has also taken the sliding door panel and the one opposite underneath the centre window. The two rear ones will be trimmed when Lee takes the bus because he needs the rock and roll bed fitted to be able to get the rake of the back so he can finish off where the pleats are going to go. Also all door cards and panels will be finished with a round bead around the edging. This should look really cool.

Lee brought down the base of the passenger seat to show me what's been done so far, I couldn't believe the amount of work that's going into the presentation on the front seats alone. The original spring base has been blasted and powdercoated in satin black, they look as if they've just been taken off the shelf in the factory, they look brand new! The first procedure is to cover the base in double duck, this is the material that is used on convertible sports car hoods. The reason for this being used is Lee said it keeps all the springing in shape and once the foam is then fitted over the top it stops any chaffing on the foam from the springing so when the finished vinyl goes on, the seats will retain their shape. Lee has told me even after 10 years of use they will still retain the same shape as when first trimmed. There's a piece of foam which is attached to the double duck material which will be the area where the pleats go and then there is a horse shoe section which fits around the front which is laminated foam which is then shaped to give that nice rolled edge finish into the pleating area. Lee turned the spring frame upside down and showed me where the seat cover would normally be hooked on which he said he won't use this method and they will be flattened and then there is now a series of 1/8th holes drilled approximately an inch apart which he said once the final cover goes on it will be glued to the underside and then pot rivited all the way around for a much neater finish. The two front seats should be finished for my next visit. I can't wait to see the finished article. As soon as I get any pictures from Lee I will update with them.

On the downside of things, unfortunately the bus will not be ready for VanFest as there is too much work still to be done and Lee will require the bus for four weeks which will allow him to do the headlining in black velor running down to the bottom of the window seals, making all the carpets plus over carpets for the cab area, carpetting the new kick panels which will be taken up tight under the parcel shelf so when you look at the front panel from the inside there will be nothing showing but carpet and vinyl. There will be a leather boot around the handbrake and gear lever, black baize in the knife and fork draw of the unit I've made, the inside of the storage area of the seat with the TV fitted will also be done in black baize as will the inside of the pull out draw where the table top will be stored.

So Lee's got quite a bit of work to do. Carl will then need the bus for another two weeks after for the final fit out so all being well, the first week of October will see it back with me. The van will then have been away from me for a total of 28 months but if you want your bus done restored properly it usually has to sit around in somebodys back room for a while.

Carl has also customised the end of the air box where it meets the door pillar. This now allows the fitting of the parcel shelf to have a really nice finish and also the kick panel will now be able to come up to the underside of the parcel shelf where the original kick panel was cut away at the top outside corners to go around the air box.

I've also now got the dimensions I need for the centre console to clear the seats so can crack on and get that finished. Pictures will follow as it progresses. I also have to make a replica of the original round table leg which tapers down to the foot end. Would anyone be able to tell me the length of the original one and the diameter of the top as that would be a great help for me.

Hope you like what you see and comments are always welcome.

Here are the pictures...

img2588p.jpg

img2589b.jpg

img2590g.jpg

img2591r.jpg

img2592h.jpg

img2593a.jpg

img2601sm.jpg

img2597wg.jpg

All these plastic pieces are just for references to where appartures and cut outs are. Now I have all this information I can now make the proper back and proper base to fit to my parcel shelf. The gap in the middle of the parcel shelf where the handbrake passes through will not be seen when the parcel shelf is finished as that will be boxed round tight to the bracing under the dash and trimmed in black vinyl with the handbrake lever passing through the centre in the front. Hope you like my genuine mota-lita steering wheel. The rim was an autojumble find at Stanford Hall and purchased for £28. It's nice and period.

img2603f.jpg

img2606pu.jpg

img2608m.jpg

img2609z.jpg

img2610.jpg

img2614.jpg

img2615.jpg

img2604h.jpg

img2605i.jpg

These are the customised ends to the airbox.

img2611u.jpg

Carls exposed a bit more rust around the gutter area on the nearside corner.

img2612u.jpg

img2613.jpg

When my friend and I fitted the front clip we ended up with a large gap down between the edge of the front clip and the drivers door approx. 10mm. Here you can see Carl's welded in a section of steel which will be polished off and profiled to give the exact margin required.

img2616l.jpg

Here's the sliding door, tailgate and engine lid prepped and primed now.

Hope you like what you see.

Regards

Steve

Steve, very inventive with the parcel shelf and the hiding of the from of the cab - will it be easy to remove incase you have to do any work around there??

Those seats are going to be wicked when finished - think I might be almost as excited as you... :mrgreen:

Oh wow !

You are the legend of all things woodwork :D

As everybody else says your crafts man ship is of superb quality, and puts mine to shame. I was recommended this thread from the splitscreen van cub forum and glad I took a look.

An hour of my day gone but picked up some great woodworking tips. THANKS

If you are going to Vanfest let me know.

Jason

Hi guys,

It's been a while since my last post.

I've been down to Devon to see my bus approximately 3 times since my last post. My most recent visit was last week which was great as I spent 4 days in the workshop with Karl working on my bus. We're still not quite ready for paint because there has been a few more design issues on the interior side which at this present time I don't want to disclose until the bus is finished but will take this bus to an even higher level of interior finish.

The drivers side is now complete and in etch primer ready for the higher build primer as is the front and rear with exception to the drivers door which requires some repair work to be done in the usual place underneath. Bought the replacement panel for this which Karl has rejected as the profile curves aren't the same and won't match so he won't use it so he'll probably end up making his own repair panel. Just need to sort some hinges for the engine lid as the ones I bought were galvinised finish and Karl didn't like the finish on them so I've got to source some more so the engine lid is just hanging using the current hinges at this time. There's still some adjustments to be made on the passenger side along the seal area. Rear nearside gutter repair is now complete. We're sort of 90% at the paint stage now. The deadline for getting it to Lee for the trimming has now come and gone but that isn't too much of an issue when I look at the standard of work that Karl is producing and as I said earlier some of the interior design features which I'm not disclosing at present.

I was busy last week doing the final fit of the parcel shelf which I fortunately had a holiday so I could take my tools and take my time to adjust where nessessery to make sure it fits perfectly as once it's been to Lee and trimmed there's no going back. It has to fit under the dash perfectly with no effort involved to fit it and also had to be designed so it could be removed easily should it have to be removed at any point in the future.

I've also pushed on with the centre console which will house the radio and the amp for the subwoofer. Very happy with the fit, can now see the end of the tunnel with my interior build.

As said in previous posts, I would have liked to have had the bus finished in time for Vanfest but it has not been possible with Karls workload on the bus and my own workload so we're now aiming hopefully towards featuring the bus in the Volksworld show 2011.

Once the bus has been painted, before it can be delivered to Lee, Karl has got to install all the wiring for the sound system, linking the television into the sound system, the wiring for all the extra gauges, lighting, heating system and alarm etc... Once it's trimmed there'll be no way of getting any extra cableing in so we daren't forget anything.

We've now received photos from Lee of the finished passenger seat. I've not seen it in the flesh but I think the pictures speak for itself for the outstanding quality of Lees work. Lee has also said you'll be able to look at these seats in 10 years time and they'll never go out of shape, they'll always look the same as they do now. I have told Lee that I do not wish to see anymore photos as he progresses such as Door cards, centre console and parcel shelf etc... I don't want to see anymore of the interior until the bus is finished so I get the complete picture of the totally finished bus. That'll be my present to myself.

So without further a do, here are the latest pictures.

img2691i.jpg

img2692x.jpg

img2693k.jpg

img2694w.jpg

img2695z.jpg

img2698t.jpg

img2699n.jpg

img2700q.jpg

img2701c.jpg

img2702ow.jpg

img2703f.jpg

img2706mx.jpg

This is an airiel shot of the finish repaired near side roof section and guttering. The whole corner of the roof had to be removed to be able to drill out the spot welds holding the gutter section. Then everything was replaced back and welded back in.

img2709eo.jpg

These are the construction pictures of the centre console so far. Sorry I forgot to take one of it in position.

img2710x.jpg

img2711f.jpg

img2712g.jpg

img2713e.jpg

img2714na.jpg

img2715c.jpg

img2716o.jpg

img2717t.jpg

img2719q.jpg

img2720cq.jpg

This is one of the very early first fits of the shelf. So far so good.

img2726yf.jpg

This is one of the pictures from last week of the drivers side back section.

img2727m.jpg

The same shot as above but from a different angle.

img2728v.jpg

img2729q.jpg

As you can see from this shot, we've gone for a total enclosure for the handbrake mechanism.

img2730n.jpg

img2731r.jpg

This is a view from the top showing the enclosure.

img2732ur.jpg

This is the mechanism that works the heating system and airvents which will still be made fully functional when the bus is finished.

img2733r.jpg

img2734hd.jpg

img2735y.jpg

img2736t.jpg

This is a shot of the cloaking of the fresh air vents.

img2740k.jpg

img2743i.jpg

This is the aperture to gain access to the fuse box.

img2745uk.jpg

This is a shot of the kick panels in place.

img2746c.jpg

If you can picture this parcel shelf completely wrapped in black vinyl with carpetted kick panels.

img2753d.jpg

These are the centre supports which are hidden inside the enclosure for the handbrake. There are also supports welded at either end to carry the corners. As you can probably appreciate, this is the result of approximately 3 months work of taking templates, going home, working a little bit and then waiting for the next visit to Devon to see if it fits and works. But as you can see it all works and fits and I'm really pleased with it.

Here are the pictures of the finished passenger seat. I think you'll agree with me when I say Lee's done a tremendous job on this as usual.

seat001s.jpg

seat002.jpg

seat003.jpg

seat004t.jpg

seat005.jpg

seat006.jpg

Hope you like what you see and comments are much appreciated.

Also is anyone going to Vanfest? If you fancy a meet up and a chat about all things Volkswagen I'll look forward to it and I can PM you with a contact number.

Thanks for taking the time to look. If you need to ask anything, I'll do my best to answer.

Regards

Steve

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant work on the interior, exterior and that seat looks fantastic 8) :mrgreen:

Hi All,

This stage of a restoration is really exciting - I can't wait to see the melding together of a painted 'shell, Steve's gorgeous woodwork and Lee's sumptuous upholstery. :D I have to confess that I am unable to share the vision of the completed vehicle in the minds of those who come to me and it is only in the final stages that I think: '... yeah, I get it now!'. :roll: It is truly a pleasure to work for and alongside such craftsmen to create a thing of beauty from metal, wood and fabric. Long live our cherished old VWs.

Carl.

This is one of my very favourite threads and it's always great to get updates on progress. This really is going to be one of the very best vans in the country!

;)

Nice to see the update Steve, I popped over yesterday to Carls, just to have a nose at the progress, can't wait to see it in paint mate.

Hotrod said:
Carl also noticed that the flare on the near side wheel arch is slightly narrower than the flare on the off side arch. Can't see any visible reason for this, there is no evidence of any accident damage on the near side and the panel is the original so to correct this, Carl will slit along the flange of the arch for its full length on the outer skin and the inner skin, pull the outer lip forward to give the correct profile and then insert a small strip approx. 4-5mm wide and the length of the flange so both profiles are the same both sides. This is typical of the attention to detail that the body is receiving to create a 100% finish on the body shell.

Once again thanks for taking your time to look. All comments will be welcome.

Regards

Steve

Hi All,

Fortunately we were able to reposition the arch using some gentle hydraulic persuasion... ;) I had initially thought that the distortion was too bad to be rectified without cutting as I told Steve. However, with judicious and well-placed force from my trusty Porta-Power kit (well, a cheaper Sealey copy, actually) the arch finally relented and was returned to its proper position. Total repositioning was in the order of 40mm.

Cheers, Carl.

Holy crap, those seats are amazing!!!
I really would like to do something like that to mine, mak them nice and firm.
Never heard of this "double duck" you mentioned tho, is it some kind of stretchy material like they use in bra's to stop the metal from poking out?
Grtz and I must say top job this is going to be an eye-popper

Latest posts