How on earth did my bus get though it's last MOT?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20733

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this game after purchasing an 71 early bay in Taunton and driving it back to Norfolk (no problems!). I listened to others and read on this forum on what to look out for when buying and came away with a reasonable vehicle for not too much. I knew it needed a few outstanding items but delving deeper, was surprised on how many stupid MOT failure items it has. It has been tested by the same garage for the last 10 or so years and I reckon a blind eye was turned to a lot of things:

VIN plate started 231 and not 221 as on the MOT certificate (all other numbers were correct). A hand written one by the same testing station before computerised ones was correct.
Headlights out of alignment - Most of the clips missing on the headlights so the drivers one was held in place by tightening the adjustment screws all the way to stop it moving.
Rear seatbelts screwed to the wooden rock and roll bed at the bottom
No battery clamp
Battery tray mostly fibreglass and held in by bathroom sealant
Wash jet valve leaking air so can't be pressurised
Leaking brake cylinder
Full beam warning bulb missing
Both carbs leaking fuel when engine switched off due to no fuel regulator and needing new gasket kit. Obvious smell of fuel - but dry when driving.

I have fixed most of these and the MOT is due again soon. I know it is nice sometimes to get a 'I will pass this, but make sure you fix...' but I think the previous testing station took the biscuit. I want a roadworthy bus - not a bodge.

Rant over...

If you'd like a proper MOT, send it over to Northern Ireland to get tested, they are government run so extremely strict! Some areas in the UK have council run MOT centres:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-mot#hidden" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So true - living in Northern Ireland meant that MOT time was the most feared part of car ownership. Horrible to go through but you know that cars are meeting a good standard and you're less likely to buy a lemon.

SkutterBob said:
VIN plate started 231 and not 221 as on the MOT certificate (all other numbers were correct). A hand written one by the same testing station before computerised ones was correct.
Headlights out of alignment - Most of the clips missing on the headlights so the drivers one was held in place by tightening the adjustment screws all the way to stop it moving.
Rear seatbelts screwed to the wooden rock and roll bed at the bottom
No battery clamp
Battery tray mostly fibreglass and held in by bathroom sealant
Wash jet valve leaking air so can't be pressurised
Leaking brake cylinder
Full beam warning bulb missing
Both carbs leaking fuel when engine switched off due to no fuel regulator and needing new gasket kit. Obvious smell of fuel - but dry when driving.

In fairness, the battery clamp only came in recently, and the battery tray doesn't need to be metal to pass...

I know someone who has a leaky wiper switch - they pressurise the bottle before the test, go in, and de-pressurise the bottle an hour later. And then clean up the water from the cab floor :lol:
Thankfully my bus washer system still holds pressure well :)

Irishpete said:
So true - living in Northern Ireland meant that MOT time was the most feared part of car ownership. Horrible to go through but you know that cars are meeting a good standard and you're less likely to buy a lemon.

So few classic cars on the road unless they all got used for car bombs :)

Latest posts