Hub Caps!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacleminer

Reaction score
Hardly technical, but why do my hub caps keep popping off. got all 5 clips on the wheels , but for some reason I just cannot get the caps to stay on. I guess it the position /shape of the clips that is at fault. i have one now which the cap sits on the wheel , but the meerest touch and it pops off!
Just what is the right shape, position etc for this clips, is it critical they are tight on the wheel?

hello mate, the clips should hold the hubcap rock solid onto the wheel. I would replace the clips as they are probably worn and not strong enough to hole the hub caps.

The other option is that the hub caps are not quite right, have you tried any other ones / types ??

:D

I guess they are repro caps. It feels that the clips are just not holding they in place almost trying to push them off! Pretty sure wheels are OK.

How should the clips be attached to the wheel? mine are pop rivetted on is that right? some are a bit loose tho .

they should be just riveted on (not pop riveted) you should drill em out and by some new clips and you get the rivets with em. 8)

Mine are small 5s' and have a different fitment but

I believe the wide 5s' had 5 clips riveted to the rims and shouldnt be loose at all I think you've just found your problem...after market stock rims can come with or without the clips (dependant on source) which may mean you sourcing clips to pop rivet/rivet in place get riveting fella and it should sort your probs out (try using mild steel rivets instead of the ali pops)...

I hav just tightened up the rivets that were loose which seems to have done the trick. we'll see how long it it before I lose another one!

Get some spray grease and cover the insides, this should help them last a few years, otherwise the rust will be attacking by next year!

CB

Latest posts