Humby's 68 bay with westy interior (trip to france!)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humby

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was a silent reader for a while, but now it is time to post my early bay on this forum...

After riding a 63 splitscreen van for 3 years, I made up my mind and bought me a bay (again), but this time an early one.
She was born on march 4th 1968 and it's a normal walkthrough kombi equipped with a Westy interior.
For the moment I'm busy with registering the van here in Belgium (because she is from the Netherlands), which is a long procedure... :evil: Typically Belgian...

The plans:
The original doglegs are changed with later repro parts, so that has to be changed. I've allready original ones (no repro, just cutted out from an original parts bay) for the best fit form.
The spare wheel has to go to the trunk, because I like the nice early bay nose with the logo :)
The rear bumper will be changed by a better one (also allready in stock)
She'll be lowered with a Red9 kit
15" detailed fuchs
New rubber on windows and doors (also in stock)
Full respray in the original color like it is now, Neptunus blue and a cloud white roof, but it is now painted with a roller brush, not so pretty but I like the used look of it... We ll see how she looks when she is lowered and with the fuchs wheels...
But the most important, this spring and summer a lot of trips!

Here are some pics

IMG_1134Large.jpg

IMG_1137Large.jpg

IMG_1140Large.jpg

IMG_1142Large.jpg

painted metal dash :twisted:

SDC10328Large.jpg

SDC10329Large.jpg

The ride is super smooth and her 1600 engine is in perfect condition!

I'll keep you guys posted with new updates!

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

here are some pics of my previous split screen:

PICT3556Large.jpg

PICT3581Large.jpg

buginikke.jpg

@ the first EBI

I wanted again a baywindow camper because I like a nice camping interior and the ride is so much smoother!
This was my first bus, a late '77 bay
PICT0631.jpg

PICT0628.jpg

And this is my daily driver, a '74 1303S a bit modified for better ride quality :)

IMG_1021Large.jpg

PICT3922.jpg

So, that's a bit more about me...

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

Yesterday and today I worked a couple of hours on the bus.
The brakes are now fully renewed.

I also took out the westy interior to have a better look at the floor.

Then I found this...
SDC10416Large.jpg

SDC10420Large.jpg

Not so good at all... It was waxoiled, but some parts were badly rusted. The wheelarches etc. are in good shape.

So, the floor will be cutted out and replaced by a new one.
That 'll be a good reason to buy a MIG welder (finally!)

With the removal of the interior I found some 70's stuff like this magazine and book :p
SDC10418Large.jpg

Tommorow I ll cut the floor out.

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

It(s been a while, but I did some things to my bus.

I bought these:
P1000012Large.jpg

And detailed one of them like this:
P1000317Large.jpg

P1000320Large.jpg

3 others to go! :)

I also ordered this:
EZ%20Rider%20Bus%20BJ.jpg

Then I cutted the floor and the rusted bits:
P1000026Large.jpg

P1000021Large.jpg

P1000025Large.jpg

P1000022Large.jpg

all the rotten pieces cutted out:
P1000268Large.jpg

P1000267Large.jpg

and the new ones welded in!
P1000484Large.jpg

P1000485Large.jpg

P1000486Large.jpg

P1000487Large.jpg

P1000488Large.jpg

P1000489Large.jpg

the bumpers, the VW logo and other bits where blasted, metalised and primed:
P1000492Large.jpg

For now I have to clean everything, building the interior back in and go to the Belgian MOT to show the welds etc.
Then it's time to grind of the welds and apply the undercoating. Reassembling the bumpers, fitting the new rubbers, the red9 kit, etc, etc...
Lots of work before I can ride her :)

That s it for now...

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

Hello,

Today I putted the interior back in and fixed some small things that had to be done

P1000498Large.jpg

I also gave her a new look in the front! She looks better without the spare wheel on her nose

P1000497Large.jpg

Tomorrow back to the Belgian MOT!

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

She passed the Belgian MOT with glance!

Gave her a little shower the evening before:
P1000501Large.jpg

P1000507Large.jpg

P1000508Large.jpg

For now it's waiting for the correct papers for being legal on the road her in Belgium, it can last for at least 6 weeks.

So I have time to clean her, put in some insulation and stuff an fitting the red 9 kit with the fuchs wheels!

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

Another nice belgian early bay.

Do you sell your old rear bumper? Mine is in a lot worse condition, so I might be interested in your old one.

Greetz

Wim

Hey, nice bus 8) ... I was wondering what size the original wheels are? I've got a Aug '67 bus with 14 inch rims but the revs seem to high for the speed, I am trying to find out what the original size would be? :?

Very nice. Love them wheels. What did you paint them with when detailing them?

Hey Digdug,

The original wheels are 14 inch. It also depends what tyre you have.
I have very "high" rubbers, When I'm doing 100 km/h on the speedo it's +/- 115km/h on the gps. So I think they re a little higher then standard...

With the fuchs wheels I 'll use a 175/55/15 in the front and a 185/70/15 in the back, for nicely cruising on the highway.

@ leon: First I "scotchbrided" the areas where the paint has to come, then I degreased it with some brake cleaner and then I used a Motip primer and then several coats of high gloss black (also Motip)... Works fine.

Thanks for the nice comments!

For now, I still wait for my official documents to come from the Belgian MOT... Pffff :evil: so I can 't drive her...
I allready putted a nice checkered floor in, cleaned the interior, installed a tacho etc. More pictures to come!

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

Hello!

Good progress their, making some great headway

The Belgian MOT sounds quite strict? Did I understand right that you had to show them the welding before grinding it down?

Thanks,

Larry

lard said:
Hello!

Good progress their, making some great headway

The Belgian MOT sounds quite strict? Did I understand right that you had to show them the welding before grinding it down?

Thanks,

Larry

Exactly! Everything weld must be "naked" :roll: , afterwards I grinded them of and I gave it a coat of zinc spray and Por 15.
It's a serious pain in the *ss to register an older and foreign car here in Belgium...
We have 2 kinds of MOT for older cars (>25years).
We have the "oldtimer MOT", that's the quickest way to register, but then you're restricted. You can not drive your car at night, you can not go further than 25km from your home (unless there's a show) etc...
The other one is the strict one, but then you can use your vehicle for "normal use". I took this option, so I can go on vacation when I want and where I want...

In other countries (like the Netherlands) it takes a day or 2 to register, but here months... :evil:

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

Hi humby hows it going, nice looking bus u'v got there, im new to the vw scene and iv got myself a 68 bay also, what im after is some photo's of your sink, in my bus i have the sink unit with the little fridge underneeth but no sink in its place is a basin, it would be a great help to me if you would post some pictures so i can see exactly what i am looking for. :D :D :D
Cheers and Thanks Caroline

Hi there,

Finally I can cruise legally with my bus! All the paperwork is done and I got my licenseplate.
I also did some interior work etc

New floor:
P1000754Large.jpg

Some dashboard "tuning":
P1000760Large.jpg

P1000759Large.jpg

I still need to put in my kickpanels and do some "wire cleanup"

Had some fun with fresh cutted interior panels and some oldschool pin-ups:
P1000761Large.jpg

P1000764Large.jpg

painted the fuchs and new rubber (front conti 175/55/15, rear goodyear 185/65/15)
P1000753Large.jpg

I also tried the fuchs on the bus, but not lowered. That look is awfull! So this weekend I'll put my red9 kit under my bus
Here some pics with the nose high up in the air... :oops:
P1000755Large.jpg

:oops: :oops: :oops:
P1000756Large.jpg

I'll also think that the rear tires will rub while I'm driving... Maybe I have to bend the fender a bit on the inside... :msn4:
P1000757Large.jpg

But I also did a lot of cruising and she is my daily driver for the moment! She runs great and very easy to drive!
We also went to the EBI3, nice camping in the evening and show and shine :lol: in the day:
P1000772Large.jpg

P1000769Large.jpg

P1000802Large.jpg

(she s somewhere in the line-up)

In 2 weeks we'll make a trip to France for surfing, swimming, chilling etc... Looking forward to that!

But this weekend, lowering time! :mrgreen:

Aircooled greetz,

Humby 8)

Latest posts