I’m scared

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So haven’t used the van for a couple of weeks. Jumped in today put £20 in it and went for a drive. 55 down the bypass, engine lovely and quiet, planet rock on the radio ran like a dream. This normally means something is shortly about to go bang on I’m going to coast to a halt at some point and it’s not going to start. Am I the only one constantly on edge listening to the tone of the engine. checking the mirrors for smoke the list goes on.

So haven’t used the van for a couple of weeks. Jumped in today put £20 in it and went for a drive. 55 down the bypass, engine lovely and quiet, planet rock on the radio ran like a dream. This normally means something is shortly about to go bang on I’m going to coast to a halt at some point and it’s not going to start. Am I the only one constantly on edge listening to the tone of the engine. checking the mirrors for smoke the list goes on.

This is what it’s spossed to be like especially in the summer.

Ozziedog ,,,,,,,,,mostly :cool:

How old are you? I seriously think this makes a difference. I swear in my younger days, I'd just jump in, drive and not have a care about what could happen. These days though at 51, I'm constantly thinking about what could go wrong!

I always find loud rock music tends to solve most engine noises...

Sorry that should have been "Masks" not "Solves"

I’m 55. I’m at the stage where I first parade and last parade the van. which basically means check the oil check everything is where it should be give the tyres a kick, check the brake fluid before I go and when I get back from a journey.

I'm exactly the same. Bought ours in September last year and had one small outing. Spent a lot of money on it over winter getting things right. Went on a mechanics aircooled course. Watched so many videos and still get in thinking am I going to get there. Bought all the spare parts, hasn't let me down yet, so should feel less anxious. Takes about an hour then start to relax. Taking her to Black rock sands soon from the midlands. longest trip so far.

Echo all said already. The only times I've coasted to a halt is when I've run out of petrol, it's a horrible feeling though coasting to a halt on the motorway, and I'm always very scared of smart motorways. I don't go in the bus if I absolutely have to get there, but having said that, it's not properly let me down yet. When I had a bus when I was 21 (30 years ago) it never occurred to me that it would break down, it was a totally stock UK Devon, I must have done 12K miles in it and probably only changed the oil once, but it never let me down.

I'm exactly the same. Bought ours in September last year and had one small outing. Spent a lot of money on it over winter getting things right. Went on a mechanics aircooled course. Watched so many videos and still get in thinking am I going to get there. Bought all the spare parts, hasn't let me down yet, so should feel less anxious. Takes about an hour then start to relax. Taking her to Black rock sands soon from the midlands. longest trip so far.
We were down Black Rock Sands in June … loved it 👍

The only time I’ve been worried was after I built my engine. I did replace everything that’s a usual problem, electronic distributor, mst drive belt, electric fuel pump and new Weber carbs.
When I had my first bus 22 years ago, I just got in and drove it and worried about nothing.
Now, at 48, it is a little different, I do listen for stuff, but generally relaxed. That maybe due to the fact I did everything on mine and made sure it was right.

Toured Europe for nine months with 1972 VW T2ab, Kombi, Westfalia."Los Angeles." Also toured across United States and back several times. No problems, no radio and no thoughts of having any failures. Kombi prepared by professional Volkswagen AG technicians. Had a great touring experience.

Definitely agree with the age thing.... Had my fist bay at 18 come home from work Friday night jump in and hammer it down to Cornwall.

Now if I make a long trip takes me a week minimum of tinkering.

Im always sound checking and sniffing when it comes to driving mine. I do it religiously and every time i stop after a drive i always have to touch all the hubs on my wheels and check for the right heat level. I then check engine etc to make sure everything is good, pedal workings etc Other drivers make me anxious though because there are alot of terrible drivers who drive at speed and im like you even come near my bus i will go mad!. A few folks these days though see our buses and respect us i guess and take care to drive around us carefully i have noticed in the past with sane folks. Where i currently live though. Folks think my bus is a Jeep 😬😕 and that is a totally ture story. I just do a um no dear no shes not a Jeep 😳 and then i just look at them like the look you would give someone that has just put Diesel in a petrol car and with pure contempt to put it lightly 😬😆. Anyway thats me 😆🤙.

Latest posts