I got a squeak ! I had a squeak !!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My clutch creaked a bit and I think it was due to the clutch cable linkage pin nearly being worn through :shock: might be worth checking it if you have it in bits. I guess you probably would of noticed if you've been messing with the cable though....

67westy said:
My clutch creaked a bit and I think it was due to the clutch cable linkage pin nearly being worn through :shock: might be worth checking it if you have it in bits. I guess you probably would of noticed if you've been messing with the cable though....

I think you may have missed the irony in all of this, bit of an epic, but here is the gist of it all.

I had a bit of a clutch noise,, more like a howling come screaming of tortured metal upon metal, which I took to be the thrust bearing / release bearing depending on where you come from. Mrs Ozziedog was going off for the weekend with the rest of her coven and so I was `instructed' to relay her and her baggage over to coven headquaters. As we got there to within a hundred yards I felt what can only be described as a fluctuation through the clutch pedal that I understood to be the release bearing in it`s final agonising death throws. One more hit on the clutch and boom,,,,, :shock: it`s all over for the bearing and we drop off Mrs Ozziedog absolutely clutchless at coven HQ. Mrs Ozziedog and a gaggle of witches are jabbering two to the dozen while I unload Sherbie and you have never seen so much crap for a weekend jaunt, I daren`t look inside as you`ll never know what`s in there and if you saw any of their potions you`d maybe end up as a pillar of salt or something or get wings of bat stuck tothe back of your hand ;) or worse ! So me and Sherbie beat a hasty retreat without a clutch and as quickly as we could before they cast another spell on us. So the scene is set and me and Sherbie get back to Volkshala where the VW gods convene (my garage).

So we set to work disconnecting the magic four bolts as instructed by the gods of Volkshala, so I get Sherbie to give just one more squeeze and low and behold the engine plops out like a baby being delivered, it was almost biblical if you swap my garage for the stable etc :msn4: . Once the donk is on the deck we scurry under the bus to look at the first issue and sure enough, there is the thrust bearing looking to be well beyond his former self and he`s definitely on the ropes and his legs (pins) are gone! So,,,,, we aren`t cheapskates by any stretch of the imagination,, and we smack a whole new clutch in :D :D And while we`re in the nether regions of my little bus we could perhaps have a little look at the oil leak issues,,, so there starts another complete chapter of the engine, the top end rebuild catastrophe by catastrophe cock up by cock up until we put the engine finally back into the bus. The battery is charged,, everything is checked and double checked, the engines been fired up, we`re down off the axle stands, I`ve checked everything underneath, swept the floor and gone up the lane and got the neighbours to move their cars,, and finally opened the garage door fully like a proud dad showing off his newborn. Jump in the cab, just check we got juice,,,, yeahhh,,, keys, wheres the keys ,, :shock: right here they are, got the keys,,, OK here we go :p Ignition,,,, crank,,,, fires up,, :p :p check mirrors, right dip the clutch select rev.......... :shock: BANG !!!! :shock: The pedal just hit the deck, :cry: WHERE HAS THE CLUTCH GONE :cry: Oh no! Oh Noooo!! The clutch cables gone.

Go and tell the neighbours, who have been waiting patiently for the bus to appear, that it may take a little longer and they can put their cars back in the meantime ! :oops: :cry: :oops: So back to Volkshala, have a quick word with Sherbie who seems to have lost all his confidence now in ever getting out of the place where he`s spent the last month or so, and try and re assure him that `It will be OK' . Not only will it be OK, but,, it`ll be even better than before and no nasty screeching noises except when Mrs Ozziedog or the members of her coven are about. This is now serious :? There seems to be a complete collapse in confidence in all present at Volkshala, thet`ll be me and Sherbie, so we go for some magic potion,, a large, large, very strong coffee and fill up the baccy tin while in the kitchen and go and mind meld with Sherbie and think about things. Two coffees later and about five rollys and we have the jack out again, axle stands and we`re going for it,,, yes, it`s just the cable broken,, so we get fown to GSF the very next day where the fellas behind the counter are always glad to see me,, I probably pay most of their wages,,,and new cable ,, way hay ! :p Look out Volkshala,,,, here we come,,,,,, Ozziedogs are GO ! :lol: Get that cable in ,,,,, Sherbie is like a dog with two dicks, he`s racing up and down the ring road, zooming around the local shopping centres,, and if I may say so,, looking extremely cooool 8) :lol: 8)
And on the next day,,, I get a noisey clutch......,,,,,..

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Isn`t it ironic,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ;)

:lol: that is an epic, my new clutch makes a noise from the release bearing but it's more a whirr than anything. Just wear ear plugs :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant! Ozzie you should write a book :lol:

I have got as far as finding out the noise comes from the front end of the clutch pedal, you don't even have to depress it it squeaks if I touch it underneath :shock: I will get under there with some grease when it pees me off enough ;)

Hey there loose screw !!!! That`s exactly what I was trying to say to you. If you get under the bus and get someone else to operate your clutch :shock: it seems like wherever you are,, that is where the noise comes from. To isolate the pedal, I took the cable off at the bell *** housing and the squeak was gone, so it`s more than likely to be the cable / flexi combination at a guess. the fact that when `freshly' greased up, it stopped for a short while makes me think that as well. So I`m guessing that there is some sort of `wear groove' inside the flexi as opposed to a rare groove in da bus, which is obviously preferable !! :lol: So when I`m back in Bristol this weekend, I`ll strip it out again and see if I can`t turn the flexi or rotate it 180' and get it to sit right. Failing this, then it`s got to be a new flexi. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Some things just don`t like it the other way round !! :shock: :roll: :mrgreen:

Have known the bowden tube split internally (cos they get bent or damaged while taken off and kicking around the garage floor. Ask me how I know.... :oops: ). Found it by spotting the worn patch on the fresh clutch cable midway down where it sits in the flexi. Didn't squeak, just made the clutch keep getting stiff unless freshly greased but might be something similar?

Good shout bud, it`s never been off and on the deck apart from when greasing it, but I think you may have the gist of where (wear) it is :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Bloody squeak !! :lol: :roll: :lol:

I woke up at 4am thinking of titles for your book Ozzie, how about 'How to keep your Dub Alive, on Acid' or 'VW Maintenance for Stella fans' :? ;) :lol:

You have confused me with all your talk of flexi's and what the Ferk is a bowden tube? I just have a bit of wire going down my pipe :?

'cant say I've had a squeak, but did used to have very stiff which i think was mostly the pedal arm bearing, whilst this was off squirted chain lube up each end of the cable guide, aerosol stuff for exposed motorbike chain.

Aerosol chain lube !!!! That could be just the puppy to reinforce what I`m thinking 8) . Give it what for and then if it works for a little while, it should back up my idea ;) . And as for the book title ????? Funnily enough, I had sort of thought about writing a book but I don`t think I could concentrate long enough and I`d never ever finish it. But now you`ve started the ball rolling, and I am loving those titles, it could be a laugh just to make up daft titles :lol: . That flexi I`m on about ( little bas*ard thing ) is what I beleive other people (the smart cookies) are referring to as the Bowden tube, and it`s the pipe that runs from the bracket on the bellhousing to the long fixed clutch cable outer tube under your bus. I also found that if you took the bracket off and pulled it apart at the joint and held it about 1 1/2" apart, then you could squidge grease into both sides of where you`ve broken it open with an ice lolly stick or similiar. Now here`s the fun part,, :shock: , grab the flexi (Bowden tube) in your fist and mash it back on and off and on and off and on and off, then pull it apart and do it again and it pumps the grease up the tube and out the flexi, thanks for the very kind words about my under the bus follies ! I got a funny feeling some of you lot are as daft as me , :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,It`s a bit like having a wa*k under your bus :shock: ;) :roll: :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Perhaps a little toooooo much information there !!!! ;) :lol: :roll:

Dont be embarassed ozzie, you pull your pud there son :shock: :lol:
I dont think it will help your sqeak but you appear to have plenty of lube under there :lol: :lol: :lol:

This little clutch operation has cost me a small fortune and still it squeaks :evil: The bank balance is getting a bit of a pasting through it as well, so I was thinking if anyone of the parts organisations would give me a discount for D.D. might be worth asking ???? what do you think ?? Then all my wages could go on this bloody squeak :shock: Guess what I`m gonna call it ????? :?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, With his Direct Dubbitt ;) :lol: ;)

:lol: :lol:
A feckin squeak, how hard can it be?? :shock:
Why do we torture ourselves with these bloody old cars :lol:
You could always fit an auto box :?: :roll:

bertiethebus said:
:lol: :lol:
A feckin squeak, how hard can it be?? :shock:
Why do we torture ourselves with these bloody old cars :lol:
You could always fit an auto box :?: :roll:

:lol: :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen: :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Flat Four Fu*k Ups,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Latest posts