i need rear wheel camber to fit sa sprints!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat duk

Reaction score
I have just aquired some real nice 5.5x14 SA sprintstars and i want to fit them on the rear of my bus but they will just not fit, My bus is lowered on horseshoe plates which i belive keep the wheels straight!

I know that straight wheels is a good thing but without some camber i cant see the top of the rim fitting under thre arch. What i need to know is my options for fitting these on the rear i think i have the following-

1, get some 4.5x14 wheels for the rear(i have a pair for the front) but all mine are detailed the same!

2, lower by one spline with the horseshoe plates on and see if i get any camber!

3, splash out on adjustable spring plates and lower by 1 spline(cash is a bit short) :(

4, remove the horseshoe plates and lower on splines only!

Im looking at trying for about 4" of lowering on the rear from standard height (horseshoes are 3.5" i think)
any ideas or info if you have the same wheels would help cheers folks

fat duk said:
I have just aquired some real nice 5.5x14 SA sprintstars and i want to fit them on the rear of my bus but they will just not fit, My bus is lowered on horseshoe plates which i belive keep the wheels straight!

I know that straight wheels is a good thing but without some camber i cant see the top of the rim fitting under thre arch. What i need to know is my options for fitting these on the rear i think i have the following-

1, get some 4.5x14 wheels for the rear(i have a pair for the front) but all mine are detailed the same!

2, lower by one spline with the horseshoe plates on and see if i get any camber!

3, splash out on adjustable spring plates and lower by 1 spline(cash is a bit short) :(

4, remove the horseshoe plates and lower on splines only!

Im looking at trying for about 4" of lowering on the rear from standard height (horseshoes are 3.5" i think)
any ideas or info if you have the same wheels would help cheers folks

It's debatable whether either the 4½ x 14 inch wheels or associated tyres, are of adequate load rating for a 1968~70 or 1971~79 VW Type 2.

Its a free fix if lowering by one spline will work, give it a go. Otherwise source a pair of 4.5 rims and get them detailed ... they will be fine. :)

5.5" SA Rostyles fit fine, I've got Red9 4" springplates fitted. Although you will really, really struggle to get them on with horseshoe plates due to the wheel offset.
Let the air out of the tyre, release lower shock bolt, lever spring plate as far as it'll go and then gently ease the rear arch so that the wheel slides over the hub. Helps if there's two of you doing it.

Thanks for the tips!, i believe that the offsets are standard to all 5.5 sprints so they should go, i think im gonna lose the horseshoe plates! What size rear tyres are you running sparkywig! i was thinking of a 175 65 if 185 is a bit tight

fat duk said:
Thanks for the tips!, i believe that the offsets are standard to all 5.5 sprints so they should go, i think im gonna lose the horseshoe plates! What size rear tyres are you running sparkywig! i was thinking of a 175 65 if 185 is a bit tight

Keep in mind that both 185/65 R15 and 175/65 R15 tyres, will change your effective overall gearing, so that for a given TRUE road speed, your engine will be revving faster, than it would have done with 185 R14 tyres.

Ok, my wheels are the 14" version so it should be about the same as standard

fat duk said:

185/65/15 on the rear, 175/55/15 on the front.

fat duk said:
Ok, my wheels are the 14" version so it should be about the same as standard

Whoops!

The 185/65 R15 and 175/65 R15 tyres, will change your effective overall gearing, so that for a given TRUE road speed, your engine will be revving faster, than it would have done with 185 R14 tyres; recalling that 195/70 R15 tyres have the same rolling circumference as 185 R14 tyres, to within ½ percent.

The 185/65 R14 and 175/65 R14 tyres, will change your effective overall gearing even more, so that for a given TRUE road speed, your engine will be revving SO MUCH faster, than it would have done with 185 R14 tyres.

Thanks naskeet for the technical info,i will have to fit a rev counter to keep an eye on the motor!

fat duk said:
Thanks naskeet for the technical info,i will have to fit a rev counter to keep an eye on the motor!

Don't forget to recalibrate your speedometer too!

You might also discover, that by changing the overall effective gearing, you might have decreased the overall maximum TRUE speed, that your vehicle is capable of attaining! See theory of "over-gearing", "under-gearing" and "optimal-gearing".

Latest posts