Icts never been quite right

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnandkatrina

Reaction score
I've had twin icts on my van for a couple of years now, it's a rebuilt 1641 with a 110 engle cam, svda dizzy, the thing is it has never seemed to run sweet no mater what gets done to it.

Pottering around low revs it's ok , but put your foot down and it splutters until the revs pickup,

Things checked

Correcting jetting
Points & gap
new plugs & Ing leads
Valve clearances
Sucked on the vac pipe as hard as I could, points move slightly
Rolling road tuned
Timing checked

It did run ok with a single carb, shouldn't really have changed it :x

Suggestions please

Any ideas

Are your ICT's stock? if they are, they don't come jetted right for the VW engine.

It would appear a fuel regulator is needed on these carbs, I am going down the same route with mine.

Have you got a 1/2" balance Pipe between the manifolds, this makes a big difference.

3/8th male thread to 1/2" Hose barb and some hose, the biggest pain is drilling and tapping the manifolds (if they are not already plugged)

I'm running a 1600 single port, stock cam and VS exhaust with;
idle jet 55
main jet 150
air corrector jet 170
emulsion tubes F3/F6
a fuel regulator set to 2 psi and balance pipe between manifolds.

So this should be fairly close to what you need.
If the carbs have the original jets as supplied, they'll be fine on 1970/80s era Bedford CF vans but nothing else.....

sparkywig said:
I'm running a 1600 single port, stock cam and VS exhaust with;
idle jet 55
main jet 150
air corrector jet 170
emulsion tubes F3/F6
a fuel regulator set to 2 psi and balance pipe between manifolds.

Looks like I need to do so jet investigations!

The 1776 has now gone in the beetle for a bit of fun and my rebuilt 1600 is back in the bus.

I assumed I would need to go down in jet sizes as it was running 55idles and 140 mains on the 1776, but I see you are running 150 mains on a pretty stock 1600

I can feel some searches and maybe a separate thread coming on!

The jetting has been changed to what sparkywig says, no balance pipe is fitted between the two manifolds my brake servo runs of these, also I don't have a fuel regulator or a pulse valve fitted, I could do the above but will it cure the problem or is it just more time and expense ?

I can test if the balance pipe works by swapping it over from the brakes to the other manifold, I'll report back soon

Alex VW Heritage said:
Have you got a 1/2" balance Pipe between the manifolds, this makes a big difference.

3/8th male thread to 1/2" Hose barb and some hose, the biggest pain is drilling and tapping the manifolds (if they are not already plugged)

Just tried, couldn't notice any difference :(

Hello
I had problems with the running on mine
Tried changing jets ( all sorts of different combinations)
Turned out that the pressure regulator wasn't giving the correct pressure
Ended up using the jets supplied and setting the regulator at 3.5
Now runs much better
Might be worth checking
Norm :D

Just had an email from Matt Cooper @ Eurocarb ltd Reading. He recommended 55 idles and 145 mains in 34ICT's on 1776....good luck and keep us updated....Ben

Ok thanks for the advice , looks like I'm going to have to try a fuel px regulator, if that don't work, I'm going back to stock :)

Where did you all get yours from ( fuel px reg)

johnandkatrina said:
Ok thanks for the advice , looks like I'm going to have to try a fuel px regulator, if that don't work, I'm going back to stock :)

If you want these to be set up and working like a dream, give Jase @ Interpro in Thornbury a call. He will sort them for you and it will be worth setting them up on the rolling road to make sure everything is correct. Its where myself and many others from here go and they will give you top notch service. He is the carb king! Its not to far from you and way worth it. 8)

easy said:
johnandkatrina said:

If you want these to be set up and working like a dream, give Jase @ Interpro in Thornbury a call. He will sort them for you and it will be worth setting them up on the rolling road to make sure everything is correct. Its where myself and many others from here go and they will give you top notch service. He is the carb king! Its not to far from you and way worth it. 8)

Thanks for that, I'll persist with it myself at the moment as I can't really afford to throw more cash at it just now, but if it does end up in the garage I'll gti them a bell.

Latest posts