if I didn't love her I would send her to the scrappy.. HELP

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edd72bay

Reaction score
I love my van very much however she is testing my patience to the extreme...

I have completely rebuilt my engine using all new parts no penny pinching. I did the rebuild myself and thought I had done a good job. however I found when I started the engine the first time that for some reason I had lost all gears apart from 1st and 2nd. When I could get it in reverse it would stall. This was down to the gear linkage being shot and needed replacing I did this last night and had all 4 gears and no stalling in reverse...... result......Untill tonight.....

I took her for a spin round the block only to get home and find that the engine is dripping oil bad..... like I mean bad. I think that it might be coming from the crank pulley or from the base of the oil filler. it is a brand new pulley wheel (Aluminium one from JK) and the oil thrower washer is in the correct way. do this sound like I have to take the engine out again and rebuild or is there an easy fix... please let there be an easy fix.

if it does need to be rebuilt does anyone have any recommendations on who to get to do it in Cornwall around the Newquay area.

Thanks in advance

Has the case been line bored? if so you need over size pulley or are you using stock breather as some after market ones are s**t and cause back pressure.

The rear pulley has an oil thrower groove machined into it. I've had pulleys which have an oil thrower which is too large to fit into my case... is it possible that you have the opposite problem?

If you can, re-fit the original pulley. Most aftermarket ones are crap anyway.

What breather/alternator stand does it have? :)

Have you any pics of the engine as it is now?

Will have a look for a original style pulley wheel. I have no breather on the oil breather at the mo it is just an open point as I need a ne length of pipe to connect it to the air filter. I will try and get a pic and put it up tomorrow.

edd72bay said:
Will have a look for a original style pulley wheel. I have no breather on the oil breather at the mo it is just an open point as I need a ne length of pipe to connect it to the air filter. I will try and get a pic and put it up tomorrow.

Do you still have the standard oil filler neck on the alternator stand? :)

Most of the aftermarket fillers are crap, as they don't breathe as well as standard. That'll only worsen any oil leaks.

Go back to the standard one :)

I'm thinking the rings arn't seated yet causing crankcase pressure from blowby,you can get a sand seal pully if the old stock one don't work ;) ;)

Before doing anything you need to identify which of the two places you think are leaking is the actual one.

Check the oil level, clean the engine properly and run it. If it doesent leak when it's stationary then take it out but on a very short run. Keep checking till it starts leaking to find the precise place its coming from.

I am advising this because the possible solutions to your problem are different depending where the oil is coming from.

Latest posts