Ignition barrel dead??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

le catweasel

Reaction score
The ignition barrel on our 68 has gotten stuck solid, cant turn the key to start it at all.

Its as if the wrong key has been inserted, anyone got any experience of this? Is there a way to refurb it?

Could do without buying a complete new unit haha

I had a similar thing at Volksworld, I went to leave put the key in and it jammed solid.
I sent the unit of to Desi Yates as a USA 1970 has a 1 year only ignition from what I can work out.
In the barrel housing he found the tip of a key (believed to be the OG key) and part of the unit inside was 1/4 of turn out of alignment.
I don't know his screen name on here but he is on Facebook.

That link is helpful for removal of the barrel but how do I get the barrel to turn freely again?

Like I said it's as if iv inserted the wrong key.....

After removing the switch from the back of the bsrrel im a bit confused. Started it with a screwdriver in the switch which seems fairly free and the key will turn freely enough aswell.

im a bit stuck as to where the problem lies, gona have a proper look tomorrow and see what i find.....

Latest posts