Ignition removal help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SHIFTY

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Is it possible to remove the ignition key switch from a 71(build date 11/70) without the key being inserted? I've removed the steering column and have tried the wire hook method but the switch won't budge.
I've no keys for my van but was hoping to get a code off the ignition to get a key cut and hope it works on the other locks too.
Thanks.
Mick

Hi, I have a 1970 and to do mine I made a hook like I had seen on a thread somewhere but in the end all I needed to do was remove a small pin/metal plug and push a thin drill bit in the hole to release the barrel. I don't believe you have to have the key although I did use mine to help pull the barrel out. I bought new keys from a guy on eBay from the code £5 each delivered although not vw ones obviously

Having a key keeps all the wafers in place I believe but not sure if it is needed. So if you are looking for the code to get a new key made pull the barrel out slowly/carefully to keep them in place, otherwise they'll spring out everywhere, tape them up.

It's easy enough to remove the cab door handles, but easier are sliding door or tailgate.

The key number is stamped on the back.

So if you find you have two, or three, or all four the same, that might be enough certainty to punt on a cut-by-code key.

Be aware that the fit of the key depends very much on the quality of the blank used; I got one off eBay cut-to-code, but the first one wouldn't work. I got a second (replacement) that was very hard to tell apart, but worked fine.

The second (good) blank was "JMA", but I don't recall the name on the duffer.
Original was WITTE.

My 1970 key profile / number was 34L0xx and this was my tailgate lock. One screw to remove ;)

DSC02062.jpg

HTH

Thanks very much for the input lads,I'll give it a look over the weekend and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again.
Mick.

Latest posts