I'm Thinking of an Exhaust Change

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Panel
Hey EB gang,

While my engine is out I have been thinking about changing my exhaust.

I currently have a VintageSpeed "Classic Super Flow" on my little 1641, twin-carb block with a mild cam (Engle 110 from memory).

Nothing wrong with it, but I'm wondering whether to go for something a little closer to stock in terms of exhaust note.

I think my engine set up is mild enough that going smaller won't actually be restrictive, but happy to be told I'm wrong on that.

What are your thoughts?
Any recommendations (has to be stainless, 'cause fit and forget)?
Anyone want to trade? :msn4:

Cheers,
G

Have a look at A1 exhausts in California, but cheap but the quality is awesome. Tiger is cool to deal with too

fallingoffalot said:
I swapped my Vintage Speed exhaust for a Just Kampers stainless. It drives much better now, doesn't backfire when cold. Not as much ground clearance though.

I’d choose a van that runs right over slammed any day

I took my van to the rolling road shortly after fitting twin carbs but before I changed from a stock exhaust. The tuner wasn't impressed and said it was too restrictive. He even offered me a free run to see the difference once the exhaust was swapped. so you might want something at least a little bigger than stock

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

This is one of the great things about this motor and old air coolds in general, and that’s the ease of generating more power if you wish. The whole design of this motor with restrictive just about everything is there to keep plodding on In it’s original over engineered condition for loads and loads of miles and probably why the whole marque has generated such a fantastic following. Not because they were the fastest or the thriftiest but because when stifled, this motor will work for ages and ages. Any time you want to ‘ open up’ one-off these by just about any small tuning you can get great increases. It’s all about shifting air through the air filters and out that zoorst as quickly as you can :shock: You can do that in loads of different ways from increasing the basic capacity of the motor to turbo ing etc etc :mrgreen: If you can make a zoorst do it’s job in a less restrictive way then you’re on a winner. These boxer style motors lend themselves readily to the twin jugs too because of layout but it’s not as good chucking extra juice in if it can’t escape because of a standard zoorst just chugging along. There’s two downsides usually and that’s increased cost and increased wear,but for what we do in mileage it’s hardly a consideration. I’m pretty sure it was Karlos that mentioned the two out of three principle a while back and it is just so true. Performance, cheap, reliable ;) you can only have two out of these three. VW went for the cheap and reliable and that’s how they got their great name and following :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, stock still sounds great when you hear one coming down the street :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
This is one of the great things about this motor and old air coolds in general, and that’s the ease of generating more power if you wish. The whole design of this motor with restrictive just about everything is there to keep plodding on In it’s original over engineered condition for loads and loads of miles and probably why the whole marque has generated such a fantastic following.....
Great insight Ozzie.

Latest posts