Importing on a trailer, anything i need to consider?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

61 stu

Reaction score
Im looking to do a bit of a road trip and import a VW on the back of a trailer i'll be towing from France, Germany, Belgium etc.

Are there any taxes or proof of ownership etc that i need to take into account? Or is it a case of just driving on to the ferry?

Cheers :)

We bought a bus back from Belgium a while back and all we had was a receipt from the previous owner and customs didn't even want to see that, might be worth checking with the dvla to see if there is anything you would need to register it over here though.

Ted said:
We bought a bus back from Belgium a while back and all we had was a receipt from the previous owner and customs didn't even want to see that, might be worth checking with the dvla to see if there is anything you would need to register it over here though.

Cheers Ted, registering my SA bus was stressful as i had no clue what i was doing but hopefully the second time round will be easier :)

Stu

Registering a Euro bus can sometimes be a pain as the DVLA often ask for proof that no duties are due on the bus before they will register it, theres a VAT form for this but can't remember the number I think its a 141 or similar.

Basically you have to prove that the bus was built in Germany and has not been out of the EU during its life and if it has that any duties were paid when it returned to the EU, if that makes sense.

Getting it back from Europe is the easy bit, I drove straight through customs after coming back from France with a bus on a trailer last year, they didn't even blink as I drove past!!

Graham L said:
Stu

Registering a Euro bus can sometimes be a pain as the DVLA often ask for proof that no duties are due on the bus before they will register it, theres a VAT form for this but can't remember the number I think its a 141 or similar.

Basically you have to prove that the bus was built in Germany and has not been out of the EU during its life and if it has that any duties were paid when it returned to the EU, if that makes sense.

Getting it back from Europe is the easy bit, I drove straight through customs after coming back from France with a bus on a trailer last year, they didn't even blink as I drove past!!

Cheers Graham i wondered if there'd be some red tape to get around, i'll look into this.

Latest posts