indicator problem (fixed)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nora

Reaction score
Nora went for her Mot and failed on the interior indicator not flashing at idle (she later passed as it flashes when revved.) When driving i have noticed that it flashes at normal road speeds but stops flashing when slowing down for junctions (at around 10 mph), it will start again when engine revs are increased. The exterior indicators flash as they should. The battery is 2 years old and has no problem starting her, she also has a dynamo fitted. Does anybody know what could be causing the problem? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere.Check the earth feed to the instrument cluster first,looking at the wiring diagram there is an earth feed which I think is screwed onto the metal under the dash somewhere that feeds the instument cluster,then it also feeds the indicator switch itself and the hazard switch.So check this first.

Hiya nora,

If you are running the original 215C flasher relay, this is a sign that it is starting to go south on you. You can polish up the four male spade connectors to improve conductivity but you will still be dealing with corrosion of the contacts inside the relay itself. That's why higher revs seem to overcome the problem - you're putting more juice into the relay.

Do be aware though, these original flashers can go on and on in this condition. I have one in my Bug right now that blinks the dash indicator properly most of the time at idle. However, it will miss blinks at times. This has been going on for two years now. Eventually it will give up the ghost entirely.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but have a related problem. My indicators gave the appearance of going south so I bit the bullet (the opposite from my usual head in the sand approach) and got a brand new 4 pin relay to replace it form Volkspares at the best part of £30. I fitted it easy enough but when I tried it out the indicators worked but the warning lights didn't! I then swapped it back for the origional 215C and the warning lights started working again (some times once sometimes 10 times before stopping) I then put the new one back and still nothing.......

Is it a dud or am I missing something obvious?

Hiya won,

I am an OEM kinda guy so I don't really have much experience with aftermarket replacement flasher units. However, I do know this........your original 215C flasher relay is a mechanical device. Replacement flasher relays are electronic devices and, as such, usually demand a special wiring set-up to make them work. Did your replacement relay come with wiring instructions? Perhaps a wiring diagram on the side of the relay?

If you have neither of these I'd suggest that you contact either the seller or the manufacturer and ask about wiring this relay into your system.

£30 for a indicator relay, wow.. think i best get a few and sell them on if u can mark them up for that price......

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jon

Thaks for the advice. I will go back to volksparesand ask them for a wiring diagram for the flasher. Its the least they can do considering the cost of it! I should have known aftermarket parts !!!!!!!!

I have looked at various wiring diagrams etc but I don't see that I need to do any rewiring as the numbers etc are exactly the same 49a 49+ TBL 31. The reason I chose to buy it was because I thought I wouldn't have to mess about with wiring etc. as the numbers are all the same.

done mine a while back with one i got from halfords, if my vague memory serves me correctly it was quite a quick, easy, straight forward swap.

Just thought i'd post an update as i finally got round to investigating this fault. I opened up the relay and cleaned up the 2 internal contacts and the 4 spade terminals, no difference. Noticed that the RH contact wasn't moving when power was applied so i tried manually moving the contacts closer, bingo it worked. It looks like the gap between the contact of the coil and the movable contact was too big, easily sorted it by bending the coil contact out slightly. Indicators now work how they should. If you have this problem just open your relay and my explanation becomes a bit clearer, honest.

Hi Bookwus, If the original 215c is a large brown relay with 4 spade connectors that is screwed on to the steering column bracket behind the instrument cluster, then yes i did.
If i remember at the weekend i'll take it off again and i'll open it up and take some pictures to show what i did, as it sounds like you might have the same problem.

Latest posts