Indicator too fast

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

no 6

Reaction score
My right indicator is now flashing about twice the speed it should be (the left still being OK). I have been fiddling about under the dash (replacing the ignition switch), so have probably done something, but can anybody give me a starter what to look for ?

Also, the repeater on the dash is always the right hand one, even when I'm using the left indicator.

Finally, (while I'm on this subject), using the right indicator quite often causes the headlights to flash or go on main beam. I don't want to splash out £135 for a new switch, so any ideas anybody ?

Thanks.

Justin & Mutley said:
no 6 said:
My right indicator is now flashing about twice the speed it should be (the left still being OK)...

Have you got a bulb out???

;)

Front is OK - I'll check the rear. Should be dark enough now !!

Yup - rear bulb is out. Thanks - saved me a lot of time with a multimeter.

Any ideas on the others ?

Justin & Mutley said:
no 6 said:
...Also, the repeater on the dash is always the right hand one, even when I'm using the left indicator...

Are you sure you've actually got a Left & Right indicator? (torch out time again!)

;)

Yup - (both) left indicators work fine, but the repeater is always the right hand one. Isn't really a problem, but as I get the bigger things sorted the smaller ones are coming to the fore.

If it's flashing for both then odds are it's been spliced at some point - get under the dash and see if you can see where a second wire has been added to your left bulb wire... if you can see one then simply disconnect it and connect it to the right hand bulb instead. If you can't see a join then trace back further down the wiring all the way back to the relay - there should be a givaway there somewhere!

Bear in mind though that it may have been changed because the right-hand bulb has blown (a lazy fix) - if that's the case you're on a hiding to nothing until the bulb is fixed!!!

;)

Had similar probs a few years ago ...gremlins in the whole lighting system
indicators fast /not flashing mainbeam not working only flashing on/off
with indicator switch . a mate told me to change relay under fuse box.
everything back to normal :D
wish he told me before I had pulled apart half the wiring under the dash
& taken to bits the indicator switch

My indicator lights flash both sides (L+R on the speedo) whichever way I indicate. Is this not normal? :?

Indicator problem turned out to be poor connection at the bulb. Cleaned it up, and now it's OK.

Latest posts