Inner sill removal - can you remove just the inner?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to remove the inner sill without removing the middle and outer sill? I've just done the offside sill, jacking points and outriggers, but removed the outer first before hacking away at the middle then inner.

Now I need to think about tackling the nearside which happens to be the sliding door side. One jacking point needs replacing, whereas the other one and outrigger seems ok. I think I will replace all of those as a matter of course as I have the parts. But can I remove just the inner sill and slide a new one into position? Has anybody done this? The middle sill appears to be in good condition judging from photos of the outer sill replacement 8 years ago.

Any input appreciated.

Thanks.

I guess I'm going to have to just have a hack away at it and see if it's possible then! :)

From memory all the sills are spot welded together and the inner sill is tack welled through the cargo floor.

To elaborate further Google spookysbus I think it is, a website where he detailed how to change the sills, I followed that.

Hi,

I've followed that on the other side as I did a full removal of all the sills. It was a really useful read for anyone attempting to tackle sill replacement and gave me the confidence to start chopping it all out as I could see how it was all assembled and what order to replace the new stuff in (link for reference http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/sills/os/os.html).

I was just wondering if anyone had tackled just the inner sill, as the inner sill is the first thing put back onto the van according to that site. I'm concerned there might not be enough of a gap to slide the new sill up with the middle sill in place and I want to avoid any issues with the sliding door not closing/working correctly afterwards!

Even though I have a new sill for the sliding door side, I may go down the route of patching the areas that are shot as most of it is solid, just the curved section at the front and a small section towards the back of the van that I pierced through with an air chisel while removing the belly pans.

Many thanks,
Termite

Well for reference, you can do it but it takes some fiddling trying to get the top of the sill past the middle sill so it touches the floor.

I ended up managing to do it with a slot head screwdriver wedged up the drain holes to lever the top and to slot it between the middle and inner sill flanges, then putting a self tapping screw through the floor to hold it. I did this alternating between each end of the sill and meeting in the middle.

I now have a nice tight fitting inner sill.

Latest posts