Insurance for Young drivers [own Children] options

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
I did a search and there was one thread but I'm not sure it covered my question/ask?

My daughter is 17 in Dec and is looking to get her own car [ I doubt she will be able to afford it in reality £2k + for insurance is joke...anyway]

Once she has some experience and is Dad approved, I'd love her to use the bus and go away for the weekend in it.
I have a very mild modded 68 Westy.

But it seems that anyone under 25 won't get insured from threads around and if I try and add her as a named driver they think I am 'fronting' and she is the main driver and I am just trying to con the insurance company.
I didn't use it as a 'daily' when it was on the road, so she isn't going to! :lol:

So what are our options, fully legit? As I do want her to be covered in the event of an incident.

To be honest it was one of the reasons I got into the Camper thing 12 years ago, so my kids could also benefit from the experience of waking up in nature, popping on the kettle, wrestling to get into some damp clothes ..... :lol: :lol:
but it seems Insurance has decided that NO FUN is allowed and it gripes me that there is no right to reply.
Anyone under 25 must be a coke head crazy, texting on instagram whilst doing a million miles an hour and being a danger to themselves.
[I get that young drivers are statistically more likely etc etc but in an old classic??]

thanks in advance

D

Regarding her own car I did a Go Compare search for my daughter's insurance (using a dead end e-mail address just for junk) and Admiral came out at £741 with no tracker/black box, £250 excess, and with both my wife and I as named drivers.
Not as expensive as I was expecting.
The insurance will increase markedly once she's passed her test though, but once again Admiral was the beat deal at £990. After a years no claims it's almost £200 cheaper.

I haven't tried adding her to the classic multi-car policy yet though.

As above, get her own insurance whilst she is on a provisional. Add yourself and wife as named drivers. If she takes longer than a year to pass, which is always possible fitting it in around college etc and if she takes more than one go at it, then the first renewal on a provisional is very good. Yes it will go up after the test pass, but not drastically.

I did this for both my kids. My daughter had a 71 Beetle, cost her £600 and change for the first year. Standard car policy to get no claims bonus rather than a classic car policy. Renewed it on a provisional and it dropped to £300 and something, rising to £500 and something when she passed soon after. My son had a 91 Polo 1.0 and his figures were very similar.

I definitely reckon this is the way to go rather than waiting until they have passed their test and then paying out a small fortune for the first years insurance.

Both of my kids first and second years insurance was with Swinton of all people. They were the cheapest. Although I don't think they are quite so competitive these days.

I found when I got my camper (12 years ago...!) that insuring a camper is rather trickier when under 25 than insuring a Beetle.

It's been a while since I struggled now, so can't really give useful advice - good luck :)

We added my eldest son when he was 21 to the camper - it was with Adrian Flux.

That was the lowest age we could find - he had to wait 4 years from passing his test.

thanks for the additional posts - this seems so wrong to me

enjoy life when you are young, I can see why kids go drive uninsured

...you know like if she has a gap year and we fancy a Dad/Daughter jaunt across Europe sharing the driving...real memory creating stuff....oh wait no we can't
or she fancies being a little bit cool at a music festival in the family bus...nope

I'd kinda be ok if it was allowed if she had her own insurance, so it was obvious that as an individual she was a named driver and not 'fronting', but even then that is seemingly overlooked.

I suspect it is available but at a considerable upper class type price tag that unless you an oil magnet could not entertain...and actually my gripe is that it is not mainstream and reasonable

not everyone wants to PCP a eurobox

rant over [for now]

Latest posts