Insurance problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyandvic

Reaction score
Please can someone let me know how I'm going to deal with this.

On the 15th July a very nice lady tried to parallel park beside by 71 Dormobile. Low and behold she hit it denting the rear offside arch. She held her hands up to the everything and passed me her insurance details (Churchills).

I got a written estimate from a very good body shop to quote for the repair before I called the insurance company. He estimated it at £402 less vat.

The insurance company took my details etc and said if you use a body shop not recommended by us the work carried out will not have a 5 year warranty for the work carried out. I said thats fine as I've seen the work he's done and its very very good.

Anyway and engineer from Churchills came and had a look at the damage and approve the estimate for the work to be carried out.

Thursday I had a call from the body shop saying he's had a nightmare trying to match the existing paint (Neptune blue)
I went to have a look to see what the problem was and it seems that the paint is correct however he can't match the existing 30 odd year old paint.

My dormobile is all original and imported from oz in 2003 so you can imagine the paint has got a bit of fade to it.

I called the insurance company telling them the problem and they said this is now your problem to sort out as I wanted to use a body shop not recommended by Churchills.

As you can imagine my blood has been boiling as the rear offside panel doesn't match the rest of the van at all.
I've then asked the bodyshop to call churchills telling them what the problem is stating that the estimate is incorrect and the van will require a full respray.

I've yet to find out how that conversation has gone.
I've got a bad feeling that the insurance company will now wash the hands of it and not shell out anymore money.

Any thoughts?

Have you contacted your own insurance company about this - ask if they would mind stepping in to deal with the 3rd party company (churchill)?

I think you did the correct thing in going to a garage you know. The insurance approved ones are always pants imho.

I have a problem getting my paint made up, i had to take the fuel filler door off and leave it with the paint manufacturs for a week for the to get it right.

I believe they make the paint up as close as they can, paint a bit of metal and let it dry then compare the colours and go from there. So if it's off they keep adjusting the blend till its good.

I don't know if you have any comeback on Churchill or not, I think that is one for legal peeps to comment on but......Regarding your paint prob. The body shop should be able to get their paint supplier to mix to match your 'faded' original paint. As mattd1984 says, it may take a few days to get it right but a GOOD supplier should be able to match it but it does cost.

Fortunately this is the body shop's problem not yours as they have quoted to the insurance company the price for repair. (Assuming it is a quote and not an estimate that is?)

You could always get some legal advice from the CAB regarding the situation if the insurance comapny is playing hardball.

Speak to the insurance industry ombudsman, they should be able to advise you or step in on your behalf, after all its their job.

Latest posts