Interior Build - 1970 Import - Made it in a magazine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbaldo

Reaction score
Well after breaking my other thread and losing the plot with photobucket, thought id just do an interior thread instead.

In short after 2 yrs my van is ready mechanically. Was never meant to be (AND STILL ISN'T) a total resto, just rust free, mechanically sound and all one colour. Dints etc all stayed as I like them :)

From this in March 2015

cW75gAK.jpg

iyeoNOU.jpg

NPh1BzD.jpg

To this in late 2016. Took a while as have a little'un now. Basically body was done on the drive, spent most money on running gear. Except the timing, done everything myself. Sprayed it in rustoleum so looks crap close up but its all Neptune blue so I'm happy.

9wmz0P2.jpg

4nj4Hf6.jpg

F0Pn5Kf.jpg

This will cover the next couple of months making a sundial-inspired interior on the cheap.

Heres a 3-day update

OK so after de-mechanising the shed, ive turned it back into a woodworking shed for the van interior

I plan on making a Wardrobe for behind the drivers seat, buddy seat, folding table, and fridge unit. Hopefully by the end of april.

Obtained some old shelving from work, I'm building the cabinet exteriors out of Birch ply but its expensive so for the insides/frames they will be made of anything I can find

qrTbyeb.jpg

Ripped one down already for 1x1 framing for the wardrobe

uycimiz.jpg

So wood arrived for the wardrobe/buddy seat and fridge unit yesterday yey!

Wardrobe is going to be made from 6.5mm ply, other stuff 12mm. To keep weight down.

To save material, money I found a good little bit of software. You type in the wood size, and cuts needed and it plots it all for you.

w5nNWPW.jpg

Need to cut it tonight before the sheets start to bow

Basing the build on eriba style method. Thin wood and framing.

So all wardrobe parts cut out

First wardrobe side glued up!

cDLNCvf.jpg

For reference, I'm loosely basing my interior on a Sundial layout I like. Kinda nice parts of a westy but with full bed and front wardrobe. Quite a rare layout but I like it. Plus it works for us three. After having a t25 with a 3/4 bed, never again. I'm too tall and fat for one.

l7Uj5gB.jpg

Looking at the brochure I'm not sure about the cabana attachment or not!?

2jVmEzR.jpg

Bit done over the weekend

Frame done using glue and pocket holes

fvc1HmA.jpg

Got the door sorted

lgkmPbM.jpg

So that's the wardrobe carcass done. Needs varnish, handle.

Corners aren't perfect but don't need to be as I'm cladding all the corners in Alu trim.

Couple days off DIY then will start on the fridge unit.

Van wise, went out on its first bypass run. Went fine at first but struggled a bit on the last bit home. Got home and all 4 corners were warm. I realised I hadn't adjusted the servo rod when I fitted it, so the brakes had a little preload to start which obviously got worst when running. All fixed now but have to bleed the brakes again :roll:

subheatadey said:
Looking good, out of interest what pocket hole Jig do you use?

Just the Kreg mini jig, about £10 on ebay

hqdefault.jpg

The big ones with the clamp are good but for what I use this is fine. I just clamp it to a table when drilling the holes.

Made a right-angle jig from wood as well when screwing the bits together just to keep them at 90degrees and level

Well with the wardrobe just awaiting cladding/varnish thought id better start on the Fridge unit

Just done a quick mock up to make sure they fit

kpP3xVs.jpg

Will do the back frame tonight then glue/nail it together. Need to make some 6mm plyshelves for the bottom and middle.

Great project. Not only tackled the metalwork and produced a damn fine job, but now adopting new skills again and getting some nice finishing here. Like that your basing the design on old skool original furniture. Watching with interest.

thanks for the kind words.

I enjoy the woodwork. Built my teardrop from scratch a couple year back. Sold now :(

lQP7CRx.jpg

That's a very impressive transformation in a very short time, nice work fella.

Well varnished everything this weekend. Turned out ok never have any luck with wood finishes.

Clad the buddy seat with trim so that's finished

tBNu2nm.jpg

Awaiting more trim to clad the wardrobe and fridge

Fridge unit finished hoorar

Fridge is 240v but can be used and an oldskool ice box when off hookup via big ice block

BfmH1cS.jpg

1iQDWSh.jpg

JF8krJJ.jpg

Jjx5IP4.jpg

pjmSFqB.jpg

lMxbHyC.jpg

Vocm4SP.jpg

Absolutely loving this. Much respect!

By the way: I want a trailer such as the one you built.

Stefan

StefansBus said:
Absolutely loving this. Much respect!

By the way: I want a trailer such as the one you built.

Stefan

Cheers for the kind words!

I actually still sell the template/plans on ebay *cough*ahem*salesplug* lol. Just search teardrop trailer and look for mine.

Need to clad the wardrobe in Ali next.

Couple of people have asked about the tops. Their old school desk tops from where I work which were being chucked out. After realising how much formica costs I nabbed them quick!

The white edging is Arcade machine T molding.

Latest posts