Interior swap - LHD interior into a RHD bus - possible?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdub wannabe

Reaction score
Hi all

I was wondering.....

why can't you fit a RHD Westfalia interior in a LHD bus (and vice versa)?

Is it just the side cupboard, as everything else seems to be symmetrical?

The bed can just be moved across, the fridge & sink moved across and the over head locker is just the same.

Is it that easy, or am I missing something else?

I have had a reponse on another forum, but they have just said "it will look 5hit", fair enough but I was looking for a technical reason why not!

Any help out there? :msn4:

Seriously, I've never seen a RHD early bay westy - the spare is in the wardrobe? :?

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12632" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone got pics of this?

Have a mate with a 71 rhd westy, ex SA spare was under front seat as it was a bulk head model, but then the bulk head was removed at some time so spare is now on roof in the roof rack, but where the spare would go on a RHD/lhd westy it was blanked off so there was no dip in the wardrobe.

Ah, just spotted that - cotswoldiver's is not a walkthrough.

Hmmm, interesting...

The hinges for the bed are different? Really? I thought they would be the same but mounted in a different place.... :?

Not really bothered about the wardrobe as I think they restrict the visibility to much, and if I had one I would (please don't cringe) cut it in half!

Later bays have the spare wheel in the cupboard behind the driver/passenger (depending on what hand drive).

So other than the cupboard......is that it?

Would it be easier to buy a full width RnR from Creative or somewhere and a couple of loose cabinets?

vdub wannabe said:
The hinges for the bed are different? Really?

Yes they really are different - because one side is mounted to the wheel arch and the other side straight to the bulkhead. Also you'd need to add mounting points in the relevent places too. You can see the difference in this picture borrowed from 58herbies thread...

14xnkpd.jpg

Latest posts