Intermittent Stalling

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willmanley

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After a bit of advice over a stalling issue that seems to have reared it head. My 70 bay window has an intermittent stalling problem that only seemed to begin yesterday when coming to a stop from around 30 mph. its more noticeable when slowing down (from rolling down & uphill even more so) and I cant get it to stall when on idle. It starts straight away after but on 2 occasions cut out again right away. I'm thinking air leak maybe ? but just wondering if anyone has any experience of the same problems.

Thanks In advance!

I had a problem with my fuel solenoid on the carb which was causing similar issues, have you considered that?

I’ve had a similar problem for a while now, pretty much stalling when getting to junctions etc ... needed to sort it as the Mrs is keen to get some miles under her belt. I had a read up on VW resource and wondered if the carb set up was out.

I was right, fast idle was wrong, volume was set wrong as was the bypass. Did a full set up while on campsite today, wow what a difference. No more cut outs on our journey to Fort William today.

Obviously might not be related if it’s only just started but might be worth a look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies for being a bit slow chipping in on this.

I have the same issue in my 1970, stock 1600 SP, H30/31 Solex.

Mine cuts out when braking for junctions, i.e. throttle closed suddenly, clutch in, revs dropping quickly. But I can usually catch it if I blip the throttle or, if it dies completely, bump start it with any residual momentum. But it's a pain dancing around the pedals. It will always start right away again if I can't save it.

For me, it only happens for the first 5 to 10 minutes of driving; after fully warmed-up it's not an issue.

I suspected maybe an intake air leak, maybe heat expansion closes it, but I read elsewhere on the interwebs (therefore it must be true) that it's a common problem with auto-choke, if the choke comes off before the engine is warm enough to sustain it.
As far as I can tell, I have valve clearances, plug and points gaps, timing, mixture and choke all set per Bentley, so I don't think I'm doing anything stupid setup-wise with ignition and fuelling.

However, the cooling flaps are wide open because the bellows had been off while fixing flaps stuck shut, and my heat risers are blocked off due to them being rotted out (I posted previously about them trying to kill us).

So in my case, there was no pre-heat (carb icing?), and I have maximum cooling on the head fins, so when the choke winds itself off, my engine *really* isn't warm enough.

I have a new intake manifold to fit over winter and I sorted the sticky flaps, and I considered adding a small value watty resistor in the auto-choke feed to slow it down, but I think proper rapid warmup is preferable, because it affects MPG and (apparently) engine wear.

HTH

Latest posts