Introducing Doddy - My 71 Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark6455 said:
Ooh you little tinker
talk about dangle a carrot i'll be over monday if your in

No can do as it stands I'm back in work now tomorrow till wednesday, so it'll have to be Thursday onwards,

I'm waiting for everyone too see it before I wrap it all up for winter and a strip all the wheels and running gear off again :)

After wrapping everything up for a little protection,

null_zps47589d8f.jpg

null_zps812712ca.jpg

null_zpsabd4680f.jpg

Well got to start somewhere I guess :D

null_zps18d67fbd.jpg

null_zpsf4feb863.jpg

null_zpse76e8528.jpg

null_zpsba6f5243.jpg

null_zps715acf7a.jpg

null_zpsf24e63b7.jpg

null_zps1d88286e.jpg

null_zps41a4931b.jpg

Not sure now if I should do the floor or if it might become a water trap?

89Rallye said:
null_zps41a4931b.jpg

Hi!

Good work! When i did mine, i didn't do the floor, just laid the wood down, 15mm+ thick ply should deaden the sound, though you could always fat mat the wood on the bottom? Would that work?

Surely the stuff sticks that well, especially with heat that surely it would keep the water out anyway?

Cheers,

Alistair

aogrady said:
89Rallye said:
null_zps41a4931b.jpg

Hi!

Good work! When i did mine, i didn't do the floor, just laid the wood down, 15mm+ thick ply should deaden the sound, though you could always fat mat the wood on the bottom? Would that work?

Surely the stuff sticks that well, especially with heat that surely it would keep the water out anyway?

Cheers,

Alistair

That's what I was thinking, the only problem is with the contours of the floor it might leave more air bubbles then I'd like (I know you can prick these but still leaving chance of water ingress). Plus if it does lift and water gets under it would be too late by the time you see it.

I think I just worry too much, I'm going to see how much I have left over and do it I think, I'll probably denso tape (my new favourite thing!) the edges of the wood which should hopefully stop any water anyway.

I'm also not sure about doing the roof, cause I'm worried it could sag in warm weather but really I think it's probably just because I can't be arsed cleaning the crap and glue off the roof! :msn4:

Sound proofing is all finished apart from the roof, also started the lovely waxoyl'ing process :x

null_zps4e6d300b.jpg

null_zps22428c01.jpg

null_zps6ae413df.jpg

null_zpsee975d32.jpg

null_zps2f098165.jpg

Started getting all my powder coating ready, getting the steering column apart was fun :msn4:

null_zps922d3865.jpg

Started sorting out the wiring,

null_zps47589d8f.jpg

null_zps70add82f.jpg

Think I've broken it's back, just waiting on the new fuse box to be delivered.

null_zpsd5336a82.jpg

null_zps379fb89e.jpg

I'm already starting to loose focus with the van, I'm not sure if it's just a little over whelming at the moment.

Also I'm becoming more and more disappointed with the paint everytime I look at the van, I'm finding more and more faults with it from fish eyes, crap in the paint (lots of crap!) and even a few runs! I'm sick of other people coming over and pointing out more and more stuff that I hadn't seen.

This is now making me doubt if I even want to build it and invest any more time and money into it and have thought about just putting it up for sale and no doubt end up out of pocket.

Even the orange peel I think is excessive and would all come out with a good wet sand, the painter even said there's loads of paint on it and when I questioned that as not being very good he agreed!

After waiting patiently for 9 months (even though I was originally quoted 6weeks) and having nothing but them harking on about how quality takes time, I just feel let down.. No betrayed really sums it up better (mellow dramatic I know :) )

So today I had to get it off with my chest with them and in fairness they replied saying "there sorry with my disappointment and once the vans built they will do all it takes to rectify the issue areas". Which is fair enough, although I'm not sure I actually want to take it back to them now, even if it's going to cost me money to take it elsewhere.

Now I'm no dick and I know that most of it can be sanded out and buffed up but it's just the principal (that this should of already been done)

I'm now really kicking myself that I didn't check it over more thoroughly before accepting it from them but I think I got caught up in the moment and was just glad it was finally coming home. Also paying more than was originally quoted and not contesting it really is a bug to bare.

Here's a few of the more prominent bits but theres pretty much an issue with every panel,

null_zpsad4113a9.jpg

null_zpsd1709d78.jpg

null_zpsd9ce5f1b.jpg

null_zps7a0cb552.jpg

And then there's the cardinal sin for me, I'll try not to drone on (cause I know I do!) to much.

I was going to paint the van myself but ended up choosing to get it done professionally (using the word loosely), the main reason for this was the damage to the rear arch/corner. If I was to repair this myself I would of ended up cutting out the German steel and replacing it with cheap pattern steel (as it's double skinned and more than I could pull at home) and I thought this was unfair to do to a van that had never been welded etc

So I thought I'd leave it to a pro to pull this panel straight the proper way,

DSCN3990.jpg

DSCN3688.jpg

DSCN3689.jpg

Now just to divert slightly, if you flick back a few pages you'll see that the underside of the van was mint (and one colour) when the painters collected it.

DSCN3966.jpg

They even commented on how good it was and promised that they would back mask all the wheel arches to protect this, so I was a little surprised that they had painted everything green and I mean everything... Axle, brakes, brake lines, horn etc etc

When I questioned this, at first apparently I had instructed them to do it then it was because of where they had been hammering pulling etc on the body...

And while on the subject of that, I was a little unhappy at the amount of filler used while doing this repair and I'm still waiting for the promised photos of it in bare steel which I know isn't coming. I've never been happy with the body line which I believe is just crafted in filler.

null_zps3c1dcc3d-1.png

So I was a little surprised to find this today, they have painted everything underneath except what actually they said needed painting!

The cardinal sin, bare steel and rusty steel in the wheel arch.. gobsmacked!

Behind the repaired arch..

Really difficult to photo but that bare steel in the middle where it's been pressed and not silver paint, it's also not difficult not to notice how much fillers present :(

null_zps8d084c8f.jpg

And rust,

null_zps18d52237.jpg

And I've no idea what's going on with this, the panel ( battery tray above) hasn't been pulled out properly so they've filled it with seam sealer, complete water trap as it sits right behind the rear wheel and I'm sure it won't be long before it cracks.

null_zps65cb3400.jpg

I don't know what it is with me and body shops as I'm yet to find one with high standards, people say I'm just being silly but most of them don't know what it's cost to have done. I've paid for show quality and in my eyes what I have wouldn't even be fit for an insurance job.

All I really want to do at the moment is sell it once it's completed.

That's about it, good to get that off my chest.

Rant over and thanks for listening. :rocknroll:

Just read through your whole thread. Wow you've done some great work!!! Shame you are not happy with the final finish. Judging by the work you have done I think you could have completed the paint to a higher standard. If I was in your position I wouldn't be taking it back to have the work rectified but would be asking for a refund equal to the cost of getting the parts your not happy with professionally rectified.

We have some fantastically skilled people out there doing these restorations in their garages and driveways and it a shame when supposedly skilled people come along an cock it for them.

Keep up the good work, running and restoring these old vans has it's up and downs but when your sat in a sunny campsite having cold one you will think it was worth all the hard work.

Look forward to seeing more of your great work.

Ps love your comments about your dad sounds like you have a top dad !!!!

Gutted for you mark after all the time you put in initially and to have a substandard job is scandalous but im sure once you get her together youll get vw love back

Well the wiring more or less done, I just need to sort out the dashboard itself now to be able to fit it in and get all the switches etc wired up.

I've ran an extra 12 core cable front to back along with a heavier battery cable for the leisure battery (going to run various things up front on from the leisure bat, mainly the radio though)

null_zps0b140a01.jpg

And unfortunately more and more of this...

My quality 9 month paint job :cry:

Impossible to photo but way way way! To much filler for a supposedly professional resprayed.

null_zps34ad7cbe.jpg

null_zpsc9a4610c.jpg

null_zps663efb00.jpg

null_zpse57ad322.jpg

null_zps62852e26.jpg

Me bitter... If I could get my hands on that painter right now! :blowingup: :axechase:

89Rallye said:
Well the wiring more or less done, I just need to sort out the dashboard itself now to be able to fit it in and get all the switches etc wired up.

I've ran an extra 12 core cable front to back along with a heavier battery cable for the leisure battery (going to run various things up front on from the leisure bat, mainly the radio though)

null_zps0b140a01.jpg

And unfortunately more and more of this...

My quality 9 month paint job :cry:

Impossible to photo but way way way! To much filler for a supposedly professional resprayed.

null_zps34ad7cbe.jpg

null_zpsc9a4610c.jpg

null_zps663efb00.jpg

null_zpse57ad322.jpg

null_zps62852e26.jpg

Me bitter... If I could get my hands on that painter right now! :blowingup: :axechase:
thats nothing compared to chip foose the split screen he done had at least 1/2 of filler on the rear lights but as you say there should be no filler there if it needs that much the panel should have been changed but i would not fit it up fully only to take it all back off to do again

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, at the very least it should of been lead loaded and not filled. Metal shrinking is obviously a dead art now :(

It's the rear wheel arch that's pissed me off more than anything, the fillers really thick and bare and unprotected under the arch. Not to mention the bare rusty steel. Plus I'm pretty sure now that they've filled over a hole.. With filler I mean.

I know I've posted these photos already..

null_zps8d084c8f.jpg

But look at the filler and then there's that hole....

This is under the rear aux battery tray, I'm planning now on shot blasting all of this which isn't ideal on a fresh painted shell but as far as I'm concerned it's the only way to get the rust out of them seams.

null_zps18d52237.jpg

Really consuming me now and I really am struggling to even work on it as I just don't see the point as what they've done is always going to be there.

I'm considering going the legal route with it but don't know where to begin or if I even have a leg to stand on or if it's worth the added stress and what's to actually gain in the end.

I'm pretty certain though that they'll never get it back to work on it again but this is just costing me more money, more stress of finding and trusting yet another bodyshop and ultimately the thought that they have won in the end as they have there money and don't give a fuck.

well i cant help you get your money back or time wasted all i know is these wankers give me and my other body shops a bad name personaly you should have taken a indipendant to check the body work i have insisted my customers get a third party to check the vehicle one its for your benifit two makes me look good that hole is for the rear leaf tray fitted to the bumper and should be there anyway im in the process of helping whistler with his bus and will be doing the filler or lack of on his bus soon

Feel your pain, I am actually in a similar situation but the results are not so bad and I am waiting for paint shop to take it back and resolve things, pretty hacked as,it was to be a 4 week job which took more than 6 months and still not done,I gave it to the painter with all dents beaten or pulled to within 2 mill, I think you have to take advice or get it back to them now and improve what they can. Lot of work building it when you don't have the love

Cheers Ronnie thanks for the info,

It's not an issue with the hole being there but the fact that it's been literally filled over, it's just hard to photo.

These guys are well known in the 'scene' which I know now means fuck all.

I've got to go and see them as I still haven't had a receipt off them and I'll see what answers they have. Going to be hard to stay cool.

Dont know what to say but this sort of thing saddens me, you have done some good work and then this. Hope you can get something sorted out.

rallye dale said:
:character0074: :cry: Cant believe what they have done

Unbelievable really.. Worst thing is I blame myself all the way for it, from being to relaxed and patient with them and not just taking it off them in he beginning when I knew all along they were just lying arseholes.

You've met the guy Dale so you'll know, if his painting matched his ego he'd be producing show winners every time.

Latest posts