Is engine safe to drive?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldrick

Reaction score
Hi all

My engine is a little poorly at the moment. The best diagnosis is that the inlet valve seat has come loose and is stopping the valve closing properly.

I've already driven 40 odd miles with it in this condition, I thought it was just a timing problem :( . If this is all that has gone wrong would it be safe to drive another 10 miles or so To the garage or should I get it trailered for big bucks?

Baldrick said:
Hi all

My engine is a little poorly at the moment. The best diagnosis is that the inlet valve seat has come loose and is stopping the valve closing properly.

I've already driven 40 odd miles with it in this condition, I thought it was just a timing problem :( . If this is all that has gone wrong would it be safe to drive another 10 miles or so To the garage or should I get it trailered for big bucks?

Dunno about it being Safe for the engine or not, but if it's only 10 miles and your brakes work could you not buy a tow rope and get a mate to tow you.

Right, so far you have been extremely lucky and at the moment you have a £50 problem (plus time and effort to get the engine out and whip off the head. But you are asking if you should gamble it on driving another 10 miles and possibly destroying your engine and turning it into a >£700 problem...

You know it isn't worth the risk..

Do you have space to whip the engine out and move it to somewhere you can whip the heads off ? It is not difficult to do.

Latest posts