Is my servo knackerd ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norm

Reaction score
Hello
I've had a problem when stopping at junctions as the engine keeps cutting out
Tried adjusting the tick over speed and balancing the carbs to no avail
When I press the brake pedal down at standstill the engine dies
i think it might be the servo leaking
Anyone else shed any light on the subject or had any similar issues before I fork out for a new one ????
Thanks in advance
Norm :D

Thanks for the replys
If the pipes were letting in air would it not tick over at all ?
My van ticks over fine until you push down the brake pedal ?

If it only does it when you press the brake then the pipes are ok but you may indeed have a problem with the servo.

Checking the servo is easy. After you have stopped the engine for a couple of minutes, press the brake pedal again. The servo should still work. If it has a leak big enough to stall the engine then it would not be able to hold vac after the engine has stopped.

Had exactly the same problem. Cutting out at junctions/lights. When stationary and brakes are pressed, cuts out.
If you block off the servo pipe and then press your brakes and it doesn't cut out you know its servo related. I just blocked up the pipe coming from the servo and drive without it, no more cutting out! I'll replace my servo at some point.

Supertramp said:
Had exactly the same problem. Cutting out at junctions/lights. When stationary and brakes are pressed, cuts out.
If you block off the servo pipe and then press your brakes and it doesn't cut out you know its servo related. I just blocked up the pipe coming from the servo and drive without it, no more cutting out! I'll replace my servo at some point.

Except that just blocking off the pipe will not tell you if its the servo or if its just the pipe or connections. You would need to block it at the servo end to check if the pipe is ok.

You must have very strong legs to be happy to drive without a servo. The servo master cylinder is a different size and hence heavier to operate without the servo than a non servo master cylinder.

Trikky2 said:
Supertramp said:

Except that just blocking off the pipe will not tell you if its the servo or if its just the pipe or connections.

You must have very strong legs to be happy to drive without a servo. The servo master cylinder is a different size and hence heavier to operate without the servo than a non servo master cylinder.

Oh no it won't tell you if its the servo or pipes, but that it's servo related rather than anything else.
To be honest I don't think my servo has ever worked as braking feels no harder than before I took the pipe off? I feel no difference and just feels like my last bus (69 with no servo)?

Supertramp said:
Trikky2 said:
Supertramp said:

Except that just blocking off the pipe will not tell you if its the servo or if its just the pipe or connections.

Oh no it won't tell you if its the servo or pipes, but that it's servo related rather than anything else.
To be honest I don't think my servo has ever worked as braking feels no harder than before I took the pipe off? I feel no difference and just feels like my last bus (69 with no servo)?

Yes, if you noticed no difference then it wasn't working before :lol:

Trikky2 said:

Yes, if you noticed no difference then it wasn't working before :lol:

I have the calves of Adonis. :lol:
What would be the best way of checking the pipes for leaks? Just replacing them?

Supertramp said:
What would be the best way of checking the pipes for leaks? Just replacing them?

If you re connect the pipe at the manifold and disconnect at the servo and block it off then, if the engine runs normally, the pipes are fine. If on the other hand it won't tick over anymore then there's a leak in the pipe or one of the connections.

I think you will probably be very pleased once you get the servo working :mrgreen:

Trikky2 said:
Supertramp said:

If you re connect the pipe at the manifold and disconnect at the servo and block it off then, if the engine runs normally, the pipes are fine. If on the other hand it won't tick over anymore then there's a leak in the pipe or one of the connections.

I think you will probably be very pleased once you get the servo working :mrgreen:

That's where I've blocked it off, took the pipe off the servo under the bus and taped that bit up, so that suggests servo doesn't it?
Being a 71 with disc brakes and servo I was expecting it to stop on the dime, mine didn't and I couldn't work out what all the fuss was about! Now I know!

Supertramp said:
That's where I've blocked it off, took the pipe off the servo under the bus and taped that bit up, so that suggests servo doesn't it?

Yes it does.

Hello
I've just ordered a Brazilian servo and master cylinder from heratige
Check the prices though on there web site it worked out cheaper to but them separate
I spoke to them on the phone and its now sorted and they said they will update there web site guess what I will be doing this weekend !!

Latest posts