I've got 99 problems and a nut is one...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

admwllms

Reaction score
Stupidly simple question klaxon: Just after a bit of general advice as I've never done this before and the idea of buggering it up makes me nervous!

The previous owner of my bus' engine had used old nyloc nuts on the oil sump plate. I didn't replace them immediately so naturally one seized. Up to now I replaced the others with the right kind and when I need an oil change, I warm up the engine, remove the nuts that aren't seized and there's enough room there to let the oil drain out slowly. However, I really need to change the strainer now as it's been a while and there's also a tiny leak out of that sole remaining nyloc nut that's messing my drive.

I've tried everything to get the bugger off but it just won't budge, plan is on saturday to put a locking nut above it and try to get out the whole stud out that way. I've already bought a replacement stud ready to go in and have also got an oversized stud in case something should go wrong (am in Spain and it's my only transport) and I snap it or something.

Does that sound like a decent plan? Should I try anything else? Thought about trying to hacksaw the nut off as the thread looks okay but the angle is too awkward. Have googled and read loads of threads with conflicting advice but wanted advice here as in the back of my mind I'm sorta thinking "sod it Adam, leave it alone" :D

Cheers Robert, first step will be to buy a little blowtorch from the local store before starting then. To be honest it did cross my mind and I read it elsewhere but was vaguely scared of breaking something or blowing myself up from igniting petrol fumes or something!

BRAD said:
Or just use a paint stripper heat gun :D

Gave it a crack all morning with a quite powerful one but still couldn't shift the damn thing! Looks like I'll have to get rough with it tomorrow.

Latest posts