JK repo steering wheel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.sim

Reaction score
Hi
I've heard negative comments about these, any guidance would be appreciated as don't know whether to get one or a wooden type
Mart

Why didn't I buy my bus years ago !?

I got a repro one off eBay and it was shocking!, put the old one back on.

Call me a old sentimental fool, but there is something about a gnarly old steering wheel that tells the story of your bus. Every single person who has ever driven your bus, right from when it was being assembled, has handled that steering wheel. It is where we physically make contact with the bus, and who doesn't run their hands around that wheel before we start her up?

Change that for a piece of crap off ebay? I thought about it once, but now, no way. ;)

Kev

I don't disagree Kev in principle if it was just worn but mine is pretty sh*tty lol half painted etc. not that I would ever sell for the reasons you describe, just want something tidier

We had one, the nut would only go on to shaft two turns...that was without the locking washer, not exactly ideal. After loads of hassle jk took it back but still insisted it was ok.
Not original but mark at mcj does some really nice woodrims

I've been looking at them, top stuff. Any tried one of them ? And how much difference does a slightly smaller wheel make to feel of driving ... And parking :)

Think I'm going the wood rim route at the moment.... What do u think of yours ?

Got mine, on a budget (!!) from Midland Wheels, it was about 200 quid including the boss, I really like it,i think it really improves the interior, but then im not a purist so was happy to swap my original old one.

apparently C&C did some repro ones too, I wonder how was their quality, if any different than JK ones at all:

http://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/hand--and--foot_controls/steering_wheel_parts/steering_wheel_and_horn_button_complete_68-74_4944/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I got the JK luxury 17" rosewood steering wheel with the Billet Aluminium Boss that is a fab bit of metal (better than the cheap chinese ones). Looks and feels fab. Also had the Litesteer power steering conversion that is light as a feather.

If it is just a bit ratty looking and half painted then why not get a leather cover for your original one? You can get the kits off eBay, you know the lace up ones. I really like the look and would save you a decent wedge.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

I've thought about those but couldn't find a decent one... Anyone know any sites ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-T2-BAY-WINDOW-REAL-BLACK-ITALIAN-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-COVER-TOP-QUALITY-/261196120023?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd0807fd7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got mine here.

I'm already watching one of those on eBay :)

--------------------------------------

Latest posts